Chinese-Forums

Tsinghua off-campus accommodation 2023 (Chinese Language Program)

brunoli

• New Members

Hello everyone,

Late August I'll be landing on Beijing, because I am going to attend the Chinese Language Program in Tsinghua University (any other attendees can contact me, so we can maybe create a Wechat group).

I'm worried about the accommodation, because from what I've seen, on-campus accommodation can be quite difficult to secure. Can someone please share some tips, for good and not too expensive places to live in Beijing (most likely near Tsinghua University)? I'm also willing to share an apartment, with separate rooms.

Thanks in advance!

Bruno

Hey Bruno,

Back in 2017 I had some friends (a couple) also staying outside campus of Tsinghua. They were living close to Renmin Daxue (人民大学) and were paying around 6000 Yuan for a small flat with two rooms, a kitchen and a small bathroom. They arrived in a similar manner than you (staying 2 weeks in a hotel while searching for a flat) and had a chinese friend help them find something and hopefully don't get scammed. In the end they had to pay an additional agent fee even though they all thought there were none. So my tip: Be careful with what you sign and best take a chinese friend with you. Also, make sure you have some extra money in case anything happens. 

Location-wise, a lot of off-campus accommodation is also in the direct vicinity of Tsinghua campus, e.g. in Wudaokou (五道口) and Liudaokou (六道口). There should be some Wechat groups for that. I would suggest you contact the international office (back in the day the person responsible there was called Bi Na). They were in general very helpful.

I hope you have a great stay in Tsinghua! I really enjoyed it back then. 

Kind regards,

欧诺

• Like 1