Chinese-Forums

costs for renting home in apartment

inv

Hi,

can someone explain how much does it cost to rent a home in an apartment preferably 1+1 + kitchen + bathroom. (monthly or annual basis but please indicate this quantity)

if I come, I am considering to remain alone and I am unable to remain at ground floor (2nd or 3rd floor are my choice)

and could anyone also comment about other states (lower or higher)?

thanks. 

I've only lived in one city, and the apartment prices can vary quite a lot depending on your area, as well as the type of apartment you get, and even how lucky you get. From speaking to people from other places in China, it seems like rent prices vary massively depending on which city/province you're in.  

Edit: just saw that you posted this in the Beijing section, but I'm sure the price/area thing is probably even more pronounced there.

You can have a look on lianjia.com, they're one of the biggest real estate agents around. 

• 1 month later...
  • New Members

It depends on where you live. If you choose the outskirts of Beijing it will cost you less than 3000 RMB per month. If you choose Hebei, a province near Beijing, the rent will come to around 1800 RMB. If you want to know more about Beijing , please tell me which district of Beijing do you choose to live in.

• 4 months later...

Dear users;

Thank you for the shared information here. I would like to inform you that I need a general idea and try to understand whether I could visit here by my own budget.

I am currently full time teacher in my country. There are some probable other conditions that I might prefer such as :

-- to visit China via stipendium options.

-- by transferring (a weak probability) my current job to China.

-- by the selection of Just short term language programs

-- by the selection of long term language programs.

the last two options might either be by stipendium external organization (like cucas) or by my personal budget.

a very weak but probable case: I may also select leaving my current job completely. (if there is a good option, of course, why not?)

side information: I think since I am muslim, it may be much more better being near islamic community or the area where muslims live.

currently I assume I do not know Chinese (because except 50-70 characters (which is so less amount that can be neglected) (simplified) no characaters are recognizable for me) how can you refer to this last explanation: I think you could define whether I should avoid coming to China with my this knowledge regarding Chinese language. 

Thanks. 

@inv

You want to come to China, want to know what it will be like, why not search Youtube for someone who is already doing it and watch their story, ask them questions? These kinds of questions require a lot of personal information such as your nationality, age and perhaps gender. This is because those language scholarships have age limits and nationality requirements I believe.

I once saw a youtube video of a rather attractive young muslim woman studying in Beijing. Upon graduation she did not appear to be able to speak Chinese and yet I think she passed HSK 5 or 6. She had a tiny well decorated apartment video and a rather large youtube following. I am sure you can quickly find her videos and see how people respond to her during her videos. This will give you a better idea of what life will be like in China, if you were also young, beautiful and possibly from a rich family lol. I think her video title was, "I just graduated" or "I just passed my HSK 6". 

The amount of knowledge doesn't matter. If you want something, you can do it. The people I know who are Muslim can speak Chinese at an independent level of fluency. They do tend to stay with other foreign Muslims some of which are quite famous in my area as entrepreneurs. Maybe because they attend the same mosque. Those said entrepreneurs also can speak Chinese well as do their children who grew up here.

We all come from different conditions and circumstances.The more you understand about Chinese culture, the easier of a time you will have in China.Perhaps others who are more similar to your unique situation can chime in.

I mean in a country as big as China , there will be every living arrangement and price range imaginable.

I can tell you that prices are much cheaper in Guangzhou than in Beijing. I have personally just moved from inside the 2nd ring where were were living in a tiny 2 room place. It was ok, just small. The neighborhood was fantastic , everything you could want right there and 2 subway lines. You re looking at 6000, unless you share.

Since my wife and I both work from home nowadays , we decided more room was more important than location. So we moved to Shunyi(teardrop).We got a beautiful 2 floor loft in a modern building , 3-4 times the size and substantially cheaper. No agent and a friendly landlord. I have my own “study” :) with shelves of Chinese books and a large 豆袋. Super sunny and a great big window to put my 茶盘 and make tea, listen to chinese. Subway is 5 min on a shared bike and takes 1hr to get right downtown, 38min and 65rmb if willing to fork out for a taxi in non-rush hour. 

I was really worried I’d be in some American style suburb and everyone would be speaking English. This couldn’t be further from the truth:). I haven’t heard a single word or spoken any English with anyone in my area. Feels more like living in a small city that is near Beijing, though it is technically still bj.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2024 at 3:52 AM, Rajesh Koothrappali said:

You want to come to China, want to know what it will be like, why not search Youtube for someone who is already doing it and watch their story, ask them questions?

I shall consider this. 

These kinds of questions require a lot of personal information such as your nationality, age and perhaps gender. This is because those language scholarships have age limits and nationality requirements I believe.

sorry but I do not believe the effect of these  (Qualitative & Quantitave) parameters on learning. But I know that you will point out or already refer to the chamber/association of process where the decision is being made for such applications. Currently,I  am aware about Cucas. mmm, do you recommend the dormitory or the accomodation they provide?

and could you give me an idea (if possible) the maximum & minimum budget I need if I want to remain there about 6 months?

The amount of knowledge doesn't matter. If you want something, you can do it.

ahaha :) :) :) I definitely and almost totally agree to this idea. Many thanks for this nice sentence. :) :) :) 

to sum up, I do not want to jump over an important point: we muslims cannot eat everything or dring every beverages. So, this is important.

• Helpful 1

@inv

I meant that for recieving a scholarship there are requirements based on age, nationality. 

This one mentions that you must be 18-28 and must be from a country friendly with China. I don't know the friendly country list.

This University you must be 18-55 to attend. Perhaps there are programs if you are older than 55. 

As for food for Muslims, there is a cafeteria just for this purpose for Muslims on campus. There are Chinese Muslim people and you can find Halal restaurants everywhere, in every city. So you will have the cafeteria catering to these students which will follow Muslim cooking methods and requirements in every University. I've ate at one once.

Then you have Xinjiang barbeque restaurants which won't have pork and will usually have chicken, beef and specifically lamb. These are quite good, I go to these myself often.

You also have halal restaurants which will be everywhere and easy to find. This will be indicated by halal in Chinese and arabic.

After that you have vegetarian restaurants for people who usually follow Buddism although there won't be any indication to Buddism on the signs. 

Then there are noodle/rice places that come from different regions of China (Gansu) with Chinese Muslim people. I never really thought of those places as "Muslim" as I eat at those often also. I just tend to think of those places like...oh that lamb restaurant is good or that noodle place is good.  

As for how much you will need a month to live? Some students are rich, they go to KTV's, party and eat whatever they want. There is no limit for them. Many who are average in wealth maybe get 1500-2000 a month from their families spending 1500 eating on campus everyday. 1500-2000 includes food and clothing. Spend more on clothes, have less for food. Expats working on contracts in China may tend to eat Western foods often and go to bars and pubs. They may have a larger budget for eating out and entertainment. 

Lastly, while you might have access to youtube now, where you are at, once in China you may not. I don't use it any longer. Hopefully you can find a channel with someone from your same country and situation. From them you can get more realistic knowledge on how life will be for you. They will tell you more than what I can. There are more things to deal with than food. Some things will be unpleasant or annoying.  

If I had the opportunity to attend a Chinese University, to learn Chinese, I'd pick a small University in the Northern region. I'd try to find places with the smallest class sizes that exist and use all my free time teaching myself Chinese. Anything that happpens inside the classroom is just a bonus of immersion time. Even as a young student it may be challenging to make Chinese friends. There are many reasons for this which I won't go into. 

If you say you are a teacher, I am sure you will be a hard working student. As for film, you did not mention it but there is a film called "Leila's Brothers" which won many awards and is from Iran. I watched it on a Chinese app and it was quite good , I recommend it.  It recently won awards at the Cannes film festival. 

• Like 1