Chinese-Forums

What keyboard does everyone use on smartphone?

vellocet

So, ever since my old favorite keyboard TouchPad got ruined, I've been searching for a new keyboard that does English and Chinese well. I can't find one, they all seem to suck.  The ones that do Chinese well do English terribly. No Swype input, for example, which is a deal-killer. The ones that do English well are awful at Chinese. But the Chinese keyboards go overboard on exotic input methods and handwriting - all I need is Pinyin.  Preferably pinyin that learns after you've written the terms a few times so you don't have to select from the long list of uncommon characters. I've been using "Microsoft Swiftkey AI Keyboard" and I have had it.  It won't recognize my own name nor the characters for the local fruit 杨梅 despite typing them in dozens of times and I'm ready to get rid of it.

What's out there, though?  What does everyone use? I've had a look on Google Play and there's nothing that stands out. I'm on Android but I guess all of you have Iphones so I won't restrict the replies by operating system.  

I use Gboard (Google keyboard). 

If you're inputting at least 40-50% in English then I would say that Gboard wins out against the Chinese keyboards and all others that I've tried so far. Its Chinese input is pretty disappointing but it's English input is just so good that using one of the Chinese brand keyboards (Baidu, Xunfei) for English makes me feel like a five year old trying to use a cellphone. 

Recently Tencent release WeChat keyboard (confusingly named because it's not limited to only being used in WeChat). It had some nice customizing options, but again the English was just so clumsy compared to Gboard. Any time saved when I input Chinese was lost three fold when inputting English.

• Helpful 1

I use Apple laptops because I did before and they have an English OS. But everything else is Android- Xiaomi. I use Sogou. When I type in English the keyboard never captializes "I". Maybe you have access to better keyboards. I just make due with Soguo.

On 6/28/2023 at 8:44 PM, Ledu said:

But everything else is Android- Xiaomi. I use Sogou.

I use that one too. 搜 狗 输入 法。

No Swype input, for example, which is a deal-killer. 

Have no idea whether or not it offers that feature. It's not something I use.