Chinese-Forums

Seeking Questionnaire Participants (Chinese learners in Sino-foreign Relationships)

CommandarinChief

• New Members

大家好!

I am former Mandarin teacher and am in the process of completing my Master's program in Applied Linguistics. For my thesis, I am conducting a study on:

adult learners/users of Chinese language who are also in a romantic relationship with a native speaker speaker of Chinese.

If you fall into this category, please take some time to fill out the questionnaire HERE.

I will be collecting data over the course of the next few weeks, so if you know anyone who fits this description and may be interested, please assist me in sharing the link to this anonymous survey.

https://www.proprofs.com/survey/t/?title=wb5ej

This is the proposed title: Beliefs about Chinese Language Learning: A Study of Learners in a Relationship with a Native Chinese Speaker (汉语学习的观念:一项有关中外情侣中汉语学习者的研究)

If you know of any other places to share this project and survey link, please suggest them below

非常感谢!!

• New Members

@Ledu Thank you for your feedback. Your response was very validating. If you would be willing to participate in an interview (to discuss the topics in more detail) before the end of July, please PM me here.

• Helpful 1

This isn't a criticism aimed at you specifically, but I feel that surveys in this format where a simple statement is given and the responder has to rate their level of agreement are extremely blunt instruments to gain useful information. The problem is that the statement could be interpreted in many ways, and unless you know the responders' rationale behind their response, you cannot assume that their understanding will be the same as yours. I felt like that with many of the questions, I could answer anywhere from strongly agree to strongly disagree depending upon the caveats that were running through my mind at the time.

For example, I do not remember the exact statements that you made, but there was one question that was something like, it is easier for children to learn Chinese than adults. On the one hand, I could say most Chinese 10-year-olds speak Chinese much better than the level any foreign learner could hope to achieve, and therefore I would strongly agree. On the other hand, you may say a foreign learner, after learning Chinese for 10 years, would be able to discuss topics about science, current affairs, politics and so on at a level that a 10-year-old could not, and therefore strongly disagree. But then you may say, well, talking about these topics is a matter of knowledge and maturity rather than language ability specifically, and therefore may choose to go back to 'agree' or 'neutral' as your response. Or approaching the statement from a completely different angle, you may say children spend most of their time learning the language, whereas most adults have other commitments such as work and family, and may only be able to spend a small proportion of their time learning, so considering it from a learning efficiency point of view, adults can learn faster (or not). So I'm not sure that you'll be able to gain many insights from the range of answers you get.

But I do understand that in your situation, there are not many other feasible options for conducting this research, so...that's why this is more of an observation than a criticism.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...