Chinese-Forums

Applying for a tourist visa from the UK - has anyone done this recently?

anonymoose

I just received my first Chinese tourist visa since COVID, having applied via the visa application centre in London.

I received a single-entry visa valid for 30 days, in spite of applying for a multi-entry 2 year visa.

Has anyone applied for a Chinese tourist visa in the UK recently? If so, did you apply for a single or multi entry visa, and what were you given?

I have previously (prior to COVID) been twice issued with multi-entry visas valid for 2 years with up to 90 days per stay. I'm not sure why this time I was only given a single-entry visa, or whether this is what they are issuing to everyone at the moment. The only reason I could possibly think of otherwise for them not issuing a multi-entry 2 year visa is that I recently travelled to India.

• Helpful 1

On 7/25/2023 at 2:38 PM, the madman said:

I asked for a 10 year multi but was told the best I could get this time was a 2 year multi ( which is what I got). I was informed that next time I should be ok with a 10 year one as my last one was 5 years.

That's interesting, because when I applied, I actually requested a 5-year visa for which I should have been eligible, but they told me that 2 years is the maximum length for tourist visas currently being issued (in the UK).

Yes that’s what I was told . At the moment the most they are giving is a 2 year multiple entry. I was eligible for a 10 year but only got 2 years but when that runs out things should be better and longer term visa’s should again be available.

Regards

• 7 months later...

Any updates on visas - anyone any recent experience? Anyone know anything about the 144 hour visa that can be applied for on arrival? I've got the relevant link but was just wondering if anyone has any experience of this in recent months? I'm passing through Shanghai for 3 days in a few weeks time.

I'm travelling on an NZ passport but have an Irish one too.

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2024 at 12:15 AM, realmayo said:

Irish passport holders are visa-exempt for 14-day visits

Well, tested it out today....amazing! Straight in without a visa. So easy. Just to add to it, my bags were first off the carousel!

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Great! The only thing about those non-visas that I'm not 100% sure about is the length: I believe that for a regular visa with, say, a 30-day stay, day 1 starts at midnight the day after you arrive. But for the visa-free, your first day is your day of arrival, I think.