Jump to content
Learn Chinese in China

Teaching in China with an 18 year old spent conviction


Recommended Posts

  • New Members


I am planning on teaching abroad in an international school. I was thinking China but have since learned you cannot do so if you have anything on your criminal record. I have a spent conviction from 2006 which shows on my enhanced visa and always will. It is for ABH. Will this be a definite no no?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

I would never forgive myself if I didn't ask what ABH means. And where the conviction took place?


I'll also have to be truthful in saying I've had people I employed and/or recommended who didn't tell me about previous convictions, and it cost me both monetarily and in terms of friendships when the issue came up later.


But I can't give you advice on the situation in China.



Link to comment
Share on other sites


I would never forgive myself if I didn't ask what ABH means. And where the conviction took place?


I also had to look it up.  Apparently ABH means Actual Bodily Harm, where the person caused physical injury to someone else, as in an assault.


I also had to look up "spent conviction."  It describes a conviction that got removed from someone's record after a certain period of time.  It seems this term is used in Australia and the UK.


A lesson here:  Don't assume your jargon and abbreviations are understood by others.  This is a global forum.


If I were a visa officer, I would not want to let in someone who had a conviction on their record for assault, even if many years ago.  Perhaps the Chinese are more forgiving.  And perhaps it would be better to teach in a country that didn't ask about criminal records that far back.

  • Helpful 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and select your username and password later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Click here to reply. Select text to quote.

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...