Chinese-Forums

History of 福

Song You Shen

So I'm trying to gather information about the word 福. Specifically the history of it, with a breakdown of it's past. I was wondering if anyone knows of any sites that would help me in this research? Also, I can't seem to single the first radical out in NJStar, and I don't know what the pronounciation for it. Could someone help me out there. Thanks...

Youshen

thanks for all of the help so far (keep it coming if you can). Long Zhiren, I was trying to use that site earlier today, but it never worked :(... but I tried it just now and it worked! :) Something must be different in the link you gave me, thanks.

Youshen

There's also the famous 长寿福 at Wanggongfu in Beijing. It makes the right-hand side of the 福 look like a 寿, along with other magical properties. Here's a site with a Flash animation showing the components.

And an image search for 百福图 brings up some nice renditions (most of which are in the Int'l Sci index, but nicer-looking).