Chinese-Forums

Best way to pick up Chinese

tobyiana

I learnt Mandarin for 2 years at school and got a GCSE (exams for 16 years old in the uK) in it. Unfortunately I didn't continue as the A levels (exam for 18 years old) were a massive step up and it wasn't taught in a particularly inspiring way. I'm really keen on picking it up again and have been considering some intensive courses in Taiwan. Does anyone have an opinion on the best way forward? 

• New Members

We are on a very different learning journey as I am a heritage speaker trying to brush of my Chinese language skill after not using it for over 20 years, but I wonder if you might benefit from reading fun graded materials (Du Chinese app, graded readers etc) to make the journey more fun? That is in addition to whatever courses you might want to take. Personally I am trying Chinese Zero to Hero as my work schedule doesn’t allow me to do proper courses. 

OP, if you have the means and opportunity to go to Taiwan to fulfill your desires to learn Chinese, I'd change the title of your thread to something more relevant, like "Where and how do I start to continue my study of Chinese in Taiwan..."

My first reaction to your original title was something totally different to the kind of questions and answers you need to get answers appropriate to your needs and situation. I first thought of recommending A levels materials (GCSE), or the like. But that's a stay-at-home solution.

But if you have the means to study in Taiwan, there are literally hundreds of threads on this website, and hundreds of posters who have already studied in Taiwan, to provide the answers to nearly all of your questions...

Go for it...

TBZ