Chinese-Forums

Study holiday in Taiwan - notes

wibr

Nice write-up.

Personally, I find city-bikes to be the best option to move around both Taipei and Tainan.

What was your level before you went to Taiwan?

May I ask how much you paid per night in Taipei? And, why was the lodging in Tainan "almost free"?

On 11/18/2023 at 4:46 PM, litcandle said:

How was your social life outside of class there? How did you meet people?

I only met up with people I already knew, didn't try to make any new friends or go out and socialize to be honest.

On 11/18/2023 at 7:57 PM, Jan Finster said:

Personally, I find city-bikes to be the best option to move around both Taipei and Tainan.

Yeah I've used ubikes before in Taipei and they are super convenient, however Tainan was still very hot so I didn't really feel like biking.

What was your level before you went to Taiwan?

Hard to say. My pronunciation including tones is pretty good, at least everyone always understands what I am saying (if all the words are correct). Reading level is also ok, don't have any issues with everyday tasks but still struggle with 金庸 for example. My biggest weaknesses are listening comprehension and speaking, so I focused on those this time. I did manage to do almost everything in Chinese from the very beginning, the biggest improvements were regarding fluency and listening comprehension.

May I ask how much you paid per night in Taipei? And, why was the lodging in Tainan "almost free"?

In Tainan I was living in a house owned by a friend of a friend who is currently staying in the US. In Taipei I paid 800€ for 15 nights, the location was pretty good though.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

On 11/18/2023 at 8:33 PM, wibr said:

Reading level is also ok, don't have any issues with everyday tasks but still struggle with 金庸 for example.

Jin Yong is fairly advanced reading though. His vocab and sentence structure are not exactly easy.

On 11/18/2023 at 7:06 PM, wibr said:
  • LTL flexi classes
    • + can just book the time slot I want and I get some teachers assigned
      • cancellation has to be done 72h before the class, which is maybe not as "flexi" as someone might expect
    • + interesting mix of teachers
    • + transparent pricing
    • - no option for Taiwanese teachers (there are some though, and it would be nice to be able to select a preference)
    • +- they provide materials for each class and most topics are quite practical, butI 
      • in my opinion, there are too many rare words in the texts
      • no structured approach to repeat vocabulary from previous lessons
      • not enough "free speaking" lessons for advanced learners

Having done all the Hsk 4 and 4+ classes on LTL over the summer, I agree with most of what you say. For most of the summer, there was a great mix of teachers picking up classes, but then around the the end of summer vacation, only two teachers were regularly picking up Hsk 4 classes. Those two teachers happened to be my least favorite, so it became a chore. There were also relatively few students taking classes(maybe more at lower levels?). I don't know what the situation is now. I also second the comment that there are a lot of less frequent words. Their levels are skewed towards the high side as well, ie there was a lot of Hsk 5 type material throughout the Hsk 4 classes. Basically,  I am always back and forth on my opinion of the Flexi-classes.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1