Chinese-Forums

Would it really be bad to answer HSKK高级 questions like a livestreamer?

becky82

In the near future, I'll probably take the HSKK高级.  I've been practicing with my iTalki teacher, and she has pointed out that when I talk Chinese, it's like I'm livestreaming (this seems to be an unintended side effect).  I'm just wondering what would happen if I answered like a livestreamer:

I wrote a quick draft and got ChatGPT to polish it a bit:

尊敬的考官们,大家好!欢迎收听我的HSKK高级口语考试录音!我是来自澳大利亚的李蓓。今天,我们来探讨一个非常有趣的问题,那就是:[repeat question]。

首先,我想强调一下,我可不是这问题的专家,我说的只不过是为了回答问题的个人的看法而已,其他人可能合理地持有截然不同的观点。

我认为[directly and succinctly answer the question]。

因为时间有限,所以我只会举两个例子:

- 第一个例子不仅仅是我的事儿,其他人也会受同类的影响。  [give a non-personal example]

- 第二个例子涉及到我个人的经历;也许别人没有和我一样的经历。[give a personal example]

总结一下,[repeat the succinct answer]。好的,今天的内容就到这里吧。如果你觉得这次的录音不错,别忘了给我点赞哦!想说什么请随时留言。我们下次再聊,好吗?拜拜!

Translated by ChatGPT:

Respected examiners, hello everyone! Welcome to listen to my HSKK Advanced Oral Exam recording! I'm Li Bei from Australia. Today, let's delve into a very interesting question, which is: [repeat the question].

Firstly, I want to emphasize that I'm not an expert on this matter. What I'm saying is just my personal opinion in order to answer the question; others may reasonably hold entirely different views.

I believe [directly and succinctly answer the question].

Due to the limited time, I'll provide only two examples:

- The first example is not just about me; others would be similarly affected. [give a non-personal example]

- The second example involves my personal experiences; perhaps others haven't had the same experiences as me. [give a personal example]

In summary, [repeat the succinct answer]. Alright, that's it for today's content. If you think this recording is good, don't forget to give me a thumbs up! Feel free to leave comments if you have anything to say. Let's chat again next time, okay? Bye-bye!

I'm just wondering if it would actually be bad to talk like this for the HSKK高级.  I can talk like this reasonably fluently because I've had a lot of practice---this is how I talk nowadays.  However, my teacher is trying to nudge me into doing something more formal.

Would it really be bad to answer HSKK高级 questions like a livestreamer?

• Like 1

I have no experience with the high level exam, but if your teacher suggests to change the approach, I would be inclined to listen. After all, I would imagine, the point of the high level exam is to show that you are versatile in the language. If you sound as if you have "one pattern" or structure, which you use to answer all questions, then this may refute that purpose (?)

• Like 1

Hi, becky82! I think your speech is wonderful. I can see that you have deliberately used a style of a live streamer, which is humorous. Every sentence is grammatically correct so that I can understand you well. The structure is logical and organized. 
I have studied the requirements for HSKK:
HSKK(高级)分三部分,共6题。全部考试约25分钟(含准备时间10分钟)。  
第一部分是听后复述,共3题。每题播放一段话,考生听后复述。考试时间为8分钟。
第二部分是朗读,共1题。试卷上提供一段文字,考生朗读。考试时间是2分钟。
第三部分是回答问题,共2题。试卷上提供两个问题,考生读后回答问题。考试时间是5分钟。
It may be an advantage to use your innovative style when the examiners get bored after so many speeches. I am not an expert. They are just my assumptions.
However, for the language itself, I can tell the sentences are translated. As a native speaker, I would say:
尊敬的考官们,大家好!欢迎收听我的HSKK高级口语考试回答!我是来自澳大利亚的李蓓。今天,我们来探讨一个非常有趣的问题,那就是:[repeat question]。
首先,我想强调一下,我不是这个问题的专家,我说的只是个人的看法而已。
我认为[directly and succinctly answer the question]。
因为时间有限,所以我只会举两个例子:
- 第一个例子不仅仅是我的事儿,其他人也会受到影响。  [give a non-personal example]
- 第二个例子涉及到我的个人经历。[give a personal example]
总结一下,[repeat the succinct answer]。好的,今天的内容就到这里吧。如果你觉得这次回答不错,别忘了给我点赞哦!我们下次再聊,好吗?拜拜!

As a native Chinese I would say your teacher is right, your draft seems too formal, though your grammar and sentence is correct, but when we speak to each other, we don't speak like this.

On 11/27/2023 at 7:46 AM, becky82 said:

好的,今天的内容就到这里吧。如果你觉得这次的录音不错,别忘了给我点赞哦!想说什么请随时留言。我们下次再聊,好吗?

You should remove this part for certain, because only a YouTuber or video maker would say this. It's weird to say this at the end of an exam. 

• Helpful 1

I'd be wary of anything that could sound like it's been memorised for use in any situation. You're kind of reminding me of the kids I used to IELTS tutor who'd end up saying things like "The issue of where I like to go on holiday is a hot topic of debate in Chinese society and there are many opposing viewpoints to consider."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think your Chinese speaking ability is already pretty good, so don't stress too much about it. Using a more casual and natural speaking style during the test may actually help you score higher with the evaluators. But you should still aim to be somewhat formal based on the exam requirements. If the proctors want a more official tone, you could consider adapting some of the insightful suggestions from cncorrect. But regardless of the style you choose, as long as your content is clear and your grammar is correct, you'll do great. Just go into the exam confidently and show them your personality! ?