Chinese-Forums

A great little game to learn sentence structure

vellocet

连词成句. It's a tin with a big deck of small cards. On the 195 cards are various words, with duplicates of important ones like 我,你 and the like. There is pinyin with tone marks. You play the game by dealing each player ten cards. Six community cards are dealt, as in Texas Hold'em. Each player plays in sequence to make a coherent sentence. If a player cannot play, he must pass. The first player to empty his hand wins, and scores points according to the number of cards still in the other players' hands. 

It's a great game! I played it the other day with my buddy. It teaches you real dang fast about word order. There are a few wild cards in case you get stuck, and you also learn that conjunctions are the most valuable cards. You also learn some vocabulary that your textbooks didn't bother to teach you like 偶尔 and 参观. It's meant for parents to play with Chinese six year olds so if a word is important enough for them to know, it's important enough for you to know. Also, you can win against native speakers! It's very encouraging when that happens.  

I'm gonna stick it in my e-bike and next time there's nothing to do at the bar I'll whip it out. Good party game, small footprint, cheap so don't care if the cards get trashed by spilled drinks or riffle shufflers, players can easily join or leave the game, only need two to play but can go past the recommended six, and who even cares about the score? Lots of laughs as you make ridiculous but grammatically correct sentences. Kind of like Mad Libs. 

https://buyertrade.taobao.com/trade/detail/tradeSnap.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.7a0b2e8d1RT7lK&tradeID=2019170280796022575&snapShot=true

image.thumb.png.f7a49bfd59a0be3b0ddf888189f46cd3.pngimage.thumb.png.93596d6ea465d3db01668b4869c28569.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1