Chinese-Forums

Asking laowai for directions ​ ? ​

vellocet

It happened to me only once, in the winter of 2002 when I was bundled up in coat hat and scarf and only after asking me the asker realised I was a foreigner. (I didn't know the answer, we weren't in my neighbourhood.)

Appreciate the experiences and the thoughts you share. I'm a Chinese from Henan(河南) and currently woking in Chengdu for two years, for me I go to work after wake up, and go home to sleep, don't have much time to hang around, maybe just because I'm too lazy,  there are times when I was asked for directions and truth be told, I totally have no idea where it is. The only places I know is where I work and where I live.  So maybe next time when I got lost I'll try to find one of you laowai to ask for directions.?

• Like 3

I've helped a few people out because we're right out in the sticks and I might be the only passer by for a while, but that's been me approaching someone lost rather than them asking first.

One thing recently I was pleased to do as I admire the man was help one of my elder neighbours push his loaded trike up a slope, He has a badly deformed back but you still see him out and about, slowly hauling heavy loads to and from his fields. He had a lot of fuelwood and there's a steepish bank on one of the paths out back where I walk the dogs sometimes heading for the hills. He must have got stuck just near the top and was having to hold on to stop it rolling back down so good I happened by and he did call out to me.

• Like 2

It happened to me a few times over the years in China.

Completely unrelated, but something I also just thought of. In Shanghai, a Han chinese guy started speaking to me in some language I couldn't understand. Turns out he used to work in Xinjiang and was trying to speak to me in Uyghur. Not the first time I've been mistaken for a Xinjiang-ren, but the only time someone's tried speaking to me in Uyhgur.

• Like 2

My brother has a full beard and came to visit. He's culinarily adventurous, so I took him to experience Xinjiang food. The boss of the place took to him immediately and gave him the greeting alaka-salam or whatever it is. The greeting wasn't returned so he knew my brother wasn't Uyghur. Still, the boss came over to admire the beard, and wistfully gestured on his clean-shaven face at where his beard used to be before the government made him shave it off. We got free walnuts!  

• Like 3

On 12/5/2023 at 9:09 PM, vellocet said:

t happened again the other day. I was out of my house waiting for a taxi, and this ayi wanders by and shoves a paper in my face. She's looking for an address in Chinese.

It's a good sign. It means that via a number of subtle unconscious cues you are projecting the image of a resident foreigner, a type of local, instead of giving off a "tourist vibe." 

On 12/7/2023 at 7:09 AM, anonymoose said:

Completely unrelated, but something I also just thought of. In Shanghai, a Han chinese guy started speaking to me in some language I couldn't understand. Turns out he used to work in Xinjiang and was trying to speak to me in Uyghur. Not the first time I've been mistaken for a Xinjiang-ren, but the only time someone's tried speaking to me in Uyhgur.

I've an indian friend who tells me guys always try to speak to him in Chinese because they think he's from Xinjiang.... He's turned that into a habit of fishing off bridges with old Chinese dudes... and he knows all sorts of words related to fishing that I've never heard (but he can't converse on any other topic to save his life)

• Like 2

On 12/6/2023 at 5:32 PM, realmayo said:

I previously got the sense that in some parts of China at least, people are likely to ignore strangers asking for directions. Maybe a laowai is seen as a soft touch.

Could be, I've been asked for directions a number of times over the years.... but usually only in places where I'm just as lost as the person asking for directions :lol:

I always think it's funny and try to explain that I'd love to help but am just as lost as they are.

"there are no tourists in wenzhou" 

That reminds me of another time. I was in 中山市 in Guangdong on a work trip, there are also no tourists there. I was walking towards a park, not far from the hotel, so I had been there tge night before. There were lots of Chinese people around but a 30 something woman asked me in Chinese if this was the way into the park and if it was free. I answered her, and I remember wondering why she didn't ask another Chinese person. I remarked about it to a colleague the next day and he said "she was probably out to scam you somehow and lost her nerve". I didn't get that feeling though, I think she probably was not from that area and we just happened to cross paths and she asked me. 

On 12/10/2023 at 12:42 PM, suMMit said:

There were lots of Chinese people around but a 30 something woman asked me in Chinese if this was the way into the park and if it was free. I answered her, and I remember wondering why she didn't ask another Chinese person. I remarked about it to a colleague the next day and he said "she was probably out to scam you somehow and lost her nerve". I didn't get that feeling though, I think she probably was not from that area and we just happened to cross paths and she asked me. 

You know it's funny, I've tried talking to people who refuse to try to understand me because I'm not Chinese... and then you get the random people who just don't even seem to notice you're not Chinese.

Honestly I can usually feel the scam vibes from scammers, and they're either going to speak English and be annoying, or they're going to try speaking Chinese then look at you and if you give them a blank look as though you don't understand they'll quickly move on to easier targets.

then you get the random people who just don't even seem to notice you're not Chinese.

This sounds unbelievable, but it's a real phenomenon.  When you're not expecting to see something and are preoccupied thinking about something else, you may not notice something quite unusual right in front of your eyes.

• Like 1