Chinese-Forums

The 2024 Aims and Objectives

Jan Finster

The proposition for the new year is to resume studying regularly with a focus on listening and speaking. I bought a couple of textbooks and I'll try to get back in the routine. 

The most important thing however is to find and retain motivation. A trip to China (or Taiwan) would be great for that. 

I  dug up my new year's resolutions for 2023 and I'm proud to say I've smashed them. 

I definitely put studying Chinese back on top of the priority list, and my trip to Guilin in September has been a huge help in keeping my motivation up. 

I've been keeping up with self-study for at least half an hour a day, and having conversation classes once a week with my online teacher.

Reading on the side helps enormously with growing my vocabulary and the speed of comprehension - slowly but steadily.

Late last year I started increasing the emphasis on grammar, to raise the quality and consistency of sentence structure in my spoken (as well as written) Chinese.

I'm solidly on the intermediate plateau, and need to work hard to break through it. 

My goals for 2024 are (first draft, I'll probably think about it and come back to refine them):

- improve my listening to a level where I can easily understand faster conversation on the first listening (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/@onecallaway3444 and https://www.youtube.com/@dashumandarin)

- watch and enjoy a tv series with chinese subtitles only 

- read at least two of the books I bought in Guilin

- plan for another trip to China or Taiwan (probably in 2025...)

- master intermediate grammar and be able to use it in real-time conversation (this is hard to measure, other than by my teacher's feedback...)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/3/2024 at 9:22 PM, dakonglong said:

Well it's officially 2024, so it's finally time to admit that I did not achieve the Chinese goals I listed out last year for 2023. Specifically, they were to:

1) Publish a travel vlog in Chinese.

Well, I'm about 4 months late, but I finally did produce a Chinese language travel vlog documenting my honeymoon. Here is Part 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNiHyy1KpPM

Any feedback both positive and negative is extremely welcome as it will help me when I go to produce Part 2!

• Like 1