Chinese-Forums

Reflections on 5 years of daily Anki

jannesan

If you read Chinese on the regular, you no longer need SRS to practice passive word recognition. But if you really do enjoy SRS, there's still plenty you could put it to good use for (character practise, chengyu, literature, etc).

More to your point, however, when it comes to practising words, you could still benefit from holding on to your En-to-Ch cards specifically to improve those output skills you say are flagging a bit (synonyms, collocations, etc). I would convert them all to sentence cards, as you already suggest doing. This is easier said than done, and you would really need to come up with a good method/layout: translating En-to-Ch isn't a binary pass/fail thing. This also means keeping your deck well pruned because output practice may be more challenging and time-consuming than drilling single words (depending on how you set it up).

If you're also keen to keep recognition cards going, then my suggestion would be to trim them down to a much smaller set, only keeping the ones that you think are:

- really kind of important to recognise during input

BUT

- not really important to be able to recall during output. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

On 12/31/2023 at 4:03 PM, Jan Finster said:

Reading your strategy and conclusions, I wonder why you do not simply stop Ankiing and read (books, random texts, etc). Reading and re-reading the same texts.

Well, there are a few reasons. For one, the ritual itself has become a part of my daily routine and I enjoy it most of the time. But a better reason for at least the English to Chinese quizzing is the potential in improving my recall in speech, however I think I need to switch to the sentence-based approach to really reap the benefits. Overall though, I agree that for the Chinese to English cards I would be better off spending the equivalent amount of time reading instead.

@sanchuan That is some great advice and a good new year goal to reduce recognition cards to a minimum and improve quality of production cards while also being strict to prune unnecessary ones. I hope I can keep up the discipline to do this while reviewing, especially the converting of existing cards is definitely quite an effort.

• Like 2

I know that Chinese students always learn their native language in order of '字 - 词 - 句 - 文章'. For each character that you have learnt, you need to be able to read and write it, and then put it into a word, sentence and article.

On 12/31/2023 at 5:03 PM, Jan Finster said:

I used Anki only in the initial stages to learn the vocabulary of HSK 1-3 to get a head start.

Reading your strategy and conclusions, I wonder why you do not simply stop Ankiing and read (books, random texts, etc). Reading and re-reading the same texts. The re-reading should have the same effect as reviewing flash cards (?)

Just saw a Youtube vid from a 5 year Japanese Anki user and as he was talking about how much time he'd spent on Anki I kept wondering "why don't you just read a book?" til he eventually mentioned that he did try reading a book, but it was a quite hard book suitable for adult native speeakers. He unsurprisingly had a bad time of it. :wall:roll:

I'd say that reading is similar to reviewing cards in your Anki deck to the extent that the repetitions are spaced out. But with reading you get to see the words and expressions in different contexts and more importantly the repetitions are based on which word is more important and useful in the language and not based on a computer algorithm and the learners incomplete knowledge of the language they are trying to learn. 

• Like 1

This is good feedback. I'm using Anki right now for Japanese, because there's a pre-made deck for the textbook I am using. But I think sooner rather than later I will move on to graded readers and things like that. I noticed that most days I just study some Anki and that's it. It doesn't feel as deep as my Chinese study was.

I think flashcards are great for boosting words into long-term memory for the first time. With larger intervals the SRS model becomes less accurate anyway and that's where natural exposure like reading makes more sense. But reading alone doesn't provide the initial more frequent repetitions like SRS, so even at an advanced level it doesn't hurt to study new words with flashcards for a while. I also think that flashcards are a great way to make use of waiting times during the day, boring meetings, during the commute etc., for reading I need a quiet environment with no interruptions.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 5:27 AM, wibr said:

But reading alone doesn't provide the initial more frequent repetitions like SRS

You sure about that? I read a brother's Grimm story and it repeated the word 烧炭工 what felt like fifty times... 

You may say "that's not normal" but lets say you're reading an article about 哈马斯 巴勒斯坦 and 以色列, how many times do you think you'll see those words in the article? And how many related words will you encounter that you'd never know to include in your Anki deck?

I think I once heard someone complaining about how people default to traditional language study methods to fill any potential gaps in their learning. They compared it to Christians with their "god of the gaps", but I'm really thinking that we have a case of "Anki of the gaps".