Chinese-Forums

Does the meaning of zhu4yuan4 mean hospitalised?

piano0011

Does the meaning of zhu4yuan4 means to be hospitalised? if a person needs to go to a hospital.. can I say:

1) wo baba/mama yao qu yiyuan zhuyuan le/ne..... would I use le or ne here? Is ne used for emphasised whereas le is used for a complete action? here.... they are not in a hospital yet, so i guess, i should use ne right?

2) zuo tian.... wo baba zhuyuan le

Zhu4yuan4 can mean wishin', hopin', like in "I'm wishin', hopin' dis guy starts puttin' characters is his questions so's i don' hafta look up numbered romanization to confirm dat we's all on the same page wit' the characters he's referrin' to..."

Then again, maybe not...

Just another snarky, annoying afternoon in the Empire of the Rising Sun, thank you...

TBZ

One has the relevant characters to enable a quick look, and an even quicker answer, perhaps...  And the other doesn't... Maybe to encourage snarkiness...

In reality, I don't think the character suggested in my snarky answer is a very good fit for my snarky English, but you shoulda seen what my wife made me erase...

TBZ 

想, 响, or 享??? All are, as you say, xiang3...

@TheBigZaboon, please stay on topic, here and in other threads. Do not post off-topic things. Save the snark for other websites. I will remove the next off-topic post.

@piano0011, 呢 is not a grammatical particle, do look up what it does do.

As to 了, the Chinese Grammar Wiki should have a good explanation, here.

On 1/9/2024 at 2:22 PM, TheBigZaboon said:

Zhu4yuan4 can mean wishin', hopin', like in "I'm wishin', hopin' dis guy starts puttin' characters is his questions so's i don' hafta look up numbered romanization to confirm dat we's all on the same page wit' the characters he's referrin' to..."

But, I seem to remember you not so long ago promoting Pinyin as just as useful as characters?

Just sayin'

On 1/10/2024 at 3:52 AM, piano0011 said:

can you confirm that one meaning of zhu4yuan4 means to be hospitalised?

Yes, it does.

If you have a smartphone, download Pleco, an extremely useful collection of dictionaries. A good online dictionary is Youdao. If you are unsure of the meaning of a word, dictionaries should be your first stop.

To type characters, look in the language and keyboard settings of your computer.

On 1/10/2024 at 12:48 PM, piano0011 said:

maybe I didn't make it clear but I prefer learning from characters but I can only type pinyin...

As well as uploading a keyboard set on your PC (which takes seconds, you might as well do it asap), if you use Chrome, a useful add on is 'zhongwen' 

If you hover the mouse over any chinese text it shows you the word and definition. 

• Helpful 1

On 1/8/2024 at 7:57 PM, piano0011 said:

Does the meaning of zhu4yuan4 means to be hospitalised?

Yes. 住院 zhu4yuan4 means to be admitted to the hospital, given a bed, stay over-night or longer for testing and treatment, ID bracelet on your wrist, wear pajamas. It's not used for someone just going to the hospital for outpatient procedures or consultations. 

In China, lots of primary care is done through the outpatient department of hospitals. Even minor things that in the West would be done in a private doctor's office or small clinic. Living in China, I've had friends tell me they were going to the hospital for a cold or flu. Or for a bad headache or a twisted ankle. 

On 1/11/2024 at 11:04 AM, piano0011 said:

I have installed the chrome extension but not sure how to use it though....

I'm not sure if we can do screenshots in here,. :edit, yes we can!! 

one reason, I don't log into forums as much these days., 

Make sure it's switched on. 

then hover over some text, 

see here., 

if it's switched on, hover the mouse over this, and it will show you 你好

Example: 

image.thumb.png.01281cbb1ce8e6020a4bf1f7fccb9bd3.png

• Helpful 1