Chinese-Forums

Use of "老公"

DernierVirage

Hello to you all, I'd welcome any thoughts of the following question.

Is "老公" used only to mean husband, or can it be used more generally. The situation is a married Chinese lady who is referring to another man (not her husband) as 老公. Is she just kidding with him, or can it be used in a relaxed way between friends? 

Thanks for your ideas.

The situation is a married Chinese lady who is referring to another man (not her husband) as 老公.

Yep, it would be very strange, absent something illicit going on out of the public view. I think it would cause raised eyebrows. Maybe a stand-up comic, deliberately trying to be funny by shocking the audience could use it like that.

It's really hard to name all the words Chinese use to address their spouse, huh. And the usage of these words are difficult as well. 老公 can be one's husband or just boyfriend, but if you hear someone says 丈夫, and that usually means that there is a legitimated marriage. Some may use 我爱人(my beloved) or 我家那位(the one of my family) but they seem to be a bit old-fashioned. At least the majority of those I 've seen using these two expressions are the elderly.

Meanwhile it's okay to say 老公/老婆 when you want to call for your spouse/bf/gf...'s attention(like "Honey" or "Darling" in English). But 丈夫/妻子, usually they are only used while elaborating them to others. I would call my husband 老公 at home but when introducing him to my friends i'd rather say 这是我丈夫。

• New Members

Uh.. actually, in china, someone usually uses '老公' to refer to her husband when she's married him. And it only can be used in informal situation. For instance. In general, you can only use it to refer to your husband in your own home.