Chinese-Forums

Hypothetical Role play book

suMMit

Reading @becky82 ‘s thread about writing her own textbook, I’ve alway thought a book of role plays for chinese learners would be awesome.

From elementary to advanced.

Getting haircuts, arguing about the bill being wrong in a restaurant , arguing with your significant other, describing a crime as a witness to the police, looking at apartments with quirky agents, telling your friend about a terrible date, being drunk in a bar and trying to prevent a fight , someone trying to scam you, selling stuff, day at the zoo, you name it. These would have the framework, telling you what angle to play and what you’re character is like, maybe some vocabulary and structures you could fall back on, but lots of room for improv.

This would not be a textbook , just a fluency practice resource, where you could really put in some emotion and  be pretty funny. Also could be repeated over and over with different teachers.

Even better would be adapting a play with a small group of students over a longer period.

Ive always thought these would be excellent , but I’m too busy , not creative enough and the reward wouldn’t be worth the effort.

• Like 1

@suMMit

I learned this idiom today (事倍功半, shìbèi-gōngbàn,labour hard to little avail). Of all those scenarios only the barber shop is relevant to me. I learn everything through lots of repetition. I made this Pleco text file, I review it before every trip. It's not perfect but almost always the same exact things are asked. Otherwise, they ask for my phone number to pay and it's not too bad. I guess for getting in a fight- of course never actually fighting- you could always say really loud 走开!or 走了! and then look really pissed and place a cigarette in your mouth. I don't smoke so it would be weird. 

flash-barber.txt

This is quite similar to the role-play we presented in primary schools in China called 课本剧. I really think some stories of 成语 can be a good choice. These stories helps with the language while help understand the meaning of 成语 at the same time.

• 1 month later...
On 2/29/2024 at 7:17 PM, erlenwein said:

from my own experience in China - asking for a plunger/suction pump because the toilet got clogged. 搋子, FYI. We got around by using a picture to illustrate what we need, but knowing the word in advance would be nice. 

I have learnt how to write 搋子 [ chuāi zi ] for the first time in my life, though I had heard the word before. I used to refer to it as '疏通马桶的东西'.

• Like 2