Chinese-Forums

Hskk Intermediate Speaking test book, thoughts and a sample of my current level

suMMit

First, I watched your YouTube video, and you absolutely nailed it!

May I suggest using https://jianwai.youdao.com/? This website uses speech-to-text to generate Chinese subtitles from videos/mp3s.  You can add them to your YouTube videos.  If it generates incorrect subtitles, then it's likely because your pronunciation is wrong/unclear.  Sometimes it sounds 100% correct in your head.

• Helpful 1

• 1 month later...

A few weeks ago I finished the Part 3 section of this book: "回答问题“. As with the part 2 picture description section, I enjoyed it and found it useful. We did 2-3 hours a week and the method I employed was:

1. On my own read the books tips and strategies on organizing, grammar structures and vocabulary.

2. With my teacher, look at the question(for the first time) and spend 2 min preparing the answer.

3. Answered the question while my teacher listened to whole answer.

4: Teacher gave me feedback on what was good, any grammar or vocabulary errors, orginization or pronunciation.

5. If I didn't answer the question well, I did it again after the feedback.

My teacher pushed me to talk for 2 mins straight on each answer, although this is not necessary to pass the Hskk. Since my goal is more about improving speaking, I was happy with this. She also pushed my to use a variety of grammar and vocabulary and not fall back on 所以 and 虽然 every other sentence. She also pushed me to give more details and specifics and show my knowledge of Chinese culture where relevant. Again, I was very pleased with all of this. It was basically a good exercise to help make some of the Hsk 4/5 level language I know passively into more active language. 

The part 3 Questions were talking about things like: what you would do if you had a 3 day weekend coming up, what gift you would buy for a friend, the person you've met who impressed you the most, a teacher that you liked, the differences between two cities you have lived in, a cultural difference you experienced in China, a problem you encountered during a trip, your dream job, etc. I think all of these are good Intermediate level topics that allow for turning what could be a quick, simple answer into fairly detailed and descriptive answers, without being overly difficult.

The book provides some nice templates to help you practice structures and organizing your answers. It also gives you a sample answer recording for each question and the tape script. There are some answers that show the contrast between a higher level and lower lever answer as well.

image.thumb.png.66952a5839afbe9b00bfa2ddf35aa447.png

One thing this is missing in the book is that in the real test, one of the two 回答问题 questions is more "philosophical". Here's an example from a different source:

ScreenShot2024-03-14at10_52_59AM.thumb.png.d546a3fbdff8f1d15bd491946c6239f8.png

Whereas the Hskk Intermediate Speaking Test book focused mainly questions more like #13 above rather #14. Maybe that's because the test was updated after this book was published? Idk, but is definitely a drawback.

The book ended with 4 full mock HSKK tests with I did together with my teacher. We both agreed that I did well on all of them and 取得了很大的进步。Anyway, this book may not be "exciting" , but It greased the wheels for my favorite learning method: learn something new, have a reason to use it (something to talk about), get some kind of feedback.

• Like 1