Chinese-Forums

Did you know China ranks number one in visitors to South Korea?

CulturalClimber

I came across an interesting tourism fact recently - did you know that China actually tops the list of highest inbound tourists by country visiting South Korea? In 2019, the number of Chinese tourists to South Korea reached an all-time high of over 6 million, making China the single largest source of visitors.

As the two countries are geographically close with cultural ties, it's not too surprising they have a lot of traveler exchanges. But I was still surprised by just how many Chinese tourists there are. It got me wondering what people think are the main reasons for Chinese tourists making South Korea such a popular destination. The thriving pop culture scene? Historical attractions? Shopping opportunities? Food? Would love to hear people's thoughts on what specifically draws tourists from China.

For those who've visited both countries before, have you noticed much interaction or cultural influence between Chinese and Korean tourists? I'm interested in ideas for the best ways to experience and compare the cultures too on a potential trip. Any must-see or do recommendations from your travels?

Hoping to spark some interesting discussion on the tourism links between our East Asian neighbors. Please share your insights and experiences visiting South Korea!

On 1/16/2024 at 3:39 AM, CulturalClimber said:

Shopping opportunities?

If it was 2019 pre-Covid, shopping opportunities would almost surely be a big factor. Not just availability of specific consumer goods, but their "value" compared to if they were purchased in China. Such things depend to some extent on the rate of exchange and duty-free allowances, not only on retail pricing. The Lotte chain of department stores and specialty outlets often offered attractive incentives to visiting Chinese. When living in China, I saw similar short-lived peaks in tourism from the Mainland to Japan and Thailand depending on such factors. One corporate sponsor of such a commercial initiative in several other Asian countries was the Parkson chain of department stores 百盛百货公司。 

After the onset of Covid, I would think that travel restrictions, such as which countries allowed visits from its Asian neighbors and with what specific quarantine requirements, played a huge part, trumped all other considerations. 

I would guess  popularity of Korean music, movies, TV programs, food and it's proximity are the main draws. Maybe also seen as a better deal than Japan in terms of price?

I went to Seoul a very long time ago, like around 1997. I remember thinking it was OK. I also made a day trip to Panmunjom. So I've been to both the Korean and Chinese border of North Korea. Korea would probably just about my last choice of a place to travel in Asia though. 

Some would also be work visa holders not just tourists. North Korea was a travel destination for Chinese prior to Covid also. South Korea and China don't share visa-free exemptions apart from a South Korean island. So those tourists would be the most connected,respected and wealthy citizens. 

I believe the Korean pop music and film industry is a powerhouse especially in Asia. I think it is because people can make connections with it easier. Some cultural values have similarties as do their everyday lives. 

I’m surprised no one has mentioned cosmetic and beauty products shopping. I think that has to be near no.1 on the list.

That’s why when you walk past cosmetic stores, the sales assistants are practically fluent in mandarin. 

On 1/16/2024 at 9:47 PM, abcdefg said:

If it was 2019 pre-Covid, shopping opportunities would almost surely be a big factor. Not just availability of specific consumer goods, but their "value" compared to if they were purchased in China. Such things depend to some extent on the rate of exchange and duty-free allowances, not only on retail pricing. The Lotte chain of department stores and specialty outlets often offered attractive incentives to visiting Chinese. When living in China, I saw similar short-lived peaks in tourism from the Mainland to Japan and Thailand depending on such factors. One corporate sponsor of such a commercial initiative in several other Asian countries was the Parkson chain of department stores 百盛百货公司。 

After the onset of Covid, I would think that travel restrictions, such as which countries allowed visits from its Asian neighbors and with what specific quarantine requirements, played a huge part, trumped all other considerations. 

That totally makes sense about shopping being such a big draw, exchange rates/deals can really impact what's a good value. And good point about how COVID changed everything with travel restrictions. Never would have thought of how commercial partnerships played a role too. Really interesting perspective! Always cool learning about the tourism dynamics between countries

On 1/17/2024 at 10:32 AM, suMMit said:

I would guess  popularity of Korean music, movies, TV programs, food and it's proximity are the main draws. Maybe also seen as a better deal than Japan in terms of price?

I went to Seoul a very long time ago, like around 1997. I remember thinking it was OK. I also made a day trip to Panmunjom. So I've been to both the Korean and Chinese border of North Korea. Korea would probably just about my last choice of a place to travel in Asia though. 

You're totally right about Korean pop culture and proximity being a big draw - the tourism stats I found actually mentioned that too. The link is https://gowithguide.com/blog/south-korea-tourism-statistics-2023-all-you-need-to-know-5254

Thanks for sharing your experience visiting Seoul back in '97! Times have definitely changed a lot since then. Always cool getting different perspectives though - Korea may not be your top Asia destination and that's fair!

image.thumb.png.2b2c7b4e2e393737475b8dc6709e73d7.png

On 1/17/2024 at 2:07 PM, Ledu said:

Some would also be work visa holders not just tourists. North Korea was a travel destination for Chinese prior to Covid also. South Korea and China don't share visa-free exemptions apart from a South Korean island. So those tourists would be the most connected,respected and wealthy citizens. 

I believe the Korean pop music and film industry is a powerhouse especially in Asia. I think it is because people can make connections with it easier. Some cultural values have similarties as do their everyday lives. 

Great points about work visas and North Korea travel too. And I totally agree that the ease of connecting with Kpop/dramas through similar cultural values must be a big part of their popularity. The industries have really blown up internationally. Always interesting discussions on the cultural influences between countries. Thanks for adding those interesting perspectives! ?

• Helpful 1

On 1/18/2024 at 1:30 AM, Flickserve said:

I’m surprised no one has mentioned cosmetic and beauty products shopping. I think that has to be near no.1 on the list.

That’s why when you walk past cosmetic stores, the sales assistants are practically fluent in mandarin. 

You're totally right. K-Beauty products must be a huge draw as well. This tourism stats article I found actually mentions how recognition of K-pop and K-beauty globally has helped contribute to the growing number of visitors https://www.statista.com/statistics/709116/south-korea-inbound-visitors/

Thanks for bringing up that point about cosmetic shopping - makes a lot of sense why the stores would have Mandarin-speaking staff! ?