Chinese-Forums

Need help finding the name for these 2 movies

Symo

The first one looks to me to be one of the many "PLA (People's Liberation Army) is there for you, in war and in peace" slick propaganda films that frequently showed on local TV stations on the Mainland in the late afternoon, before "prime time" especially out in the province, in smaller towns. It is not something for international distribution. It would not even get much air time in Beijing or Shanghai. It is not likely to be indexed by name in international film databases.

These usually were dual-purpose productions, as in this case: part of it shows a staged training exercise in which the PLA - EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) team hones their skills and shows their stuff, including the daring rescue attempt of a civilian child. The second function of films like this, overlapping of course with the first, is to educate the rural public about the dangers of unexploded ordnance; to educate villagers about what to do and what not to do. "Obey the 'Stay Out' and 'Dangerous' signs and don't climb through the fence to fetch the lost football." Simple stuff; not sophisticated. Many such films were produced in the 1980's and 1990's partly in response to the threat posed by the presence of live cluster bomb "bomblets" in border areas.

I once toured parts of Cambodia with the leader of such a team. We made stops at several small towns and villages, at all of which small-scale documentary training films such as this one were shown to the public. Most were not as professionally produced as this one. The "Plain of Jars" was one area of special interest to the team, even into the 2010-2020 decade. 

I didn't look at your second link. 

On 1/19/2024 at 1:28 PM, abcdefg said:

I didn't look at your second link.

You should. It's astounding. I kind of want to know which movie this is, so I can make sure to avoid it it's so bad in so many ways.