Chinese-Forums

What is the difference between hao3 ba and hao3 de?

piano0011

I think if you say 好吧 as a reply, you are accepting but slightly showing your dissatisfaction(and you are not possible to change the situation). Similarly we have 行吧. 好的 doesn't have such a hint of dissatisfaction at least for me.

It's really hard to tell the difference between the two expression I'd say, even for me. I think the different is rather pragmatic than grammatical.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

My girlfriend and I have argued about where we should go for dinner tonight. I capitulated and took her suggestion to maintain harmony. "OK then, it's Italian tonight." I looked at my feet as I said it and let out a small sigh, expressing resignation. That is 好吧!

The next night my girlfriend and I discussed where we should go for dinner again. It is one of our recurring "couple" rituals. She suggested Thai. I had been thinking about Thai myself all afternoon; craving Som Tam because the weather has been so hot recently. I immediately replied “好的, 亲爱的!“ with a little laugh. "Great minds think alike, dear. What a wonderful suggestion."

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

On 1/21/2024 at 10:39 AM, piano0011 said:

I guess that the meaning of hao3 ba emphasis more on suggestiong whereas hao3 de means ok...... in general..... guess i should use hao3 ba for suggesting things?

No.

好吧 emphasizes ACCEPTING someone else's suggestion even though you it's not your first choice.

Just out of curiosity, where are you coming across these topics that your questions are about(in this and other threads)?

On 1/21/2024 at 12:04 PM, piano0011 said:

wo men yiqi chu qu chi fan, hao ba?

I would say

我们一起出去吃饭吧!(Suggestion)

or

我们一起出去吃饭,好吗 (or) 好不好?(Asking if it would be acceptable)

I think of 好吧 is an answer, not a question, so I would not say your sentence. (but I'm not a native speaker, so I could be wrong).

What does the Peking University Hsk lesson where you came across this say about it?

• Helpful 1

am learning from peking university hsk chinese lessons

I happen to be a student of Peking U. Yet I'm native student so I'm not familiar with HSK courses. Do you means the courses on Coursera? Maybe you can tell us the very course you are following and I could ask the lecturer in person if possible.

I still think that hao3 ba is making suggestion, including your own suggestion.... I can ask my friend.... let's go for a mean. haoba

Grammatically that's okay. But language is alive. If native speakers suggest sth. to me using 好吧, I'll feel that they have bad manner. Such expression is a bit rude in everyday Chinese(at least for native speakers).

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

@honglam Well... I think it is correct but you can easily find it on youtube by typing chinese hsk...... I think her name is Yu Bin... I have spoken with some chinese friends here and do hear them use it... so it is must be correct... You can also google the meaning of ba.... read it somewhere also about the use of suggestion....

Piano, if you don't believe the answers you're getting here, then why do you ask? You're getting good answers, from native speakers, with good explanations, but if you prefer to ask a friend or just believe your own intution, there is no need to come here and ask people to make an effort explaning things to you.

• Like 3

@honglam... i can't find that particular lesson now but they mentioned that hao3ba = suggestion, which is true but i guess you are right that it can be a bit rude when using it....

ba
more19.png
(modal particle indicating suggestion or surmise) / ...right? / ...OK? / ...I presume.

I will ask another forum as well just for clarification..

• 3 weeks later...