Chinese-Forums

what is the difference between gao4bie2 and zai4jian4?

piano0011

告别 is more likely to be the action, like "to say goodbye". Literally "tell[告] each other that we'll separate[别] since now"

再见 is the word you say when you 告别. "今天的节目就到这里。再见。" = "This is the end of today's show. Goodbye."

Sometimes 再见 is used as a verb. Then it should be separately understood. 再 means again, 见 means meet. Hence it's "meeting someone again". Like "我再见他时他已经是一个知名作家了" = "He was already a famous writer when I met him again." This usage is rather formal.

• Helpful 1

On 1/23/2024 at 8:02 AM, piano0011 said:

今天的节目就到这里。再见....... in this sentence, where is the word for "end" dao4 zheli?

Literally it says "Today's show just arrives here. Goodbye." So 就到这里 means "end up here".

On 1/23/2024 at 8:02 AM, piano0011 said:

wo yao gaobie = i must say my goodbye? Can you give me more examples on how to use gaobie?

The problem is 要. 要 doesn't necessarily means must(actually it seldom means "must".). Here 要 means "be going to". That is to say 我要告别了(I'd rather add a 了 here) means "I'm going to say goodbye"

告别 just means "say goodbye" or "say that ones are going to separate". 到告别的时候了 = it's time to say goodbye. 他告别父母,离开这座他居住了18年的城市,去另一个国家上大学。He said goodbye to his parents, left this city where he had be living for 18 years, and went to another country for university.

• Helpful 1

• 2 weeks later...