Chinese-Forums

University Computer Science Teaching

thechamp

Hi there,

I have an interview to teach computer science at a university in Chengdu and I am wondering about best demo lessons to do. I was thinking to do the kind of thing that our professors would lecture us at university, but I am not totally sure what is expected. Does anyone know the educational methods commonly used in China for teaching a subject like computer science?

For anyone familiar with CS at all - I was planning to go through the theory of a simple datatype (eg a stack) and then code that in visual studio or IntelliJ (C# or java) and then go onto demonstrate how to write a 'pop' method for this stack. That seems like a simple lesson that could show a few different things - theory and practical implementation.

Perhaps some game functionality would be more appropriate? Something in Unity to give the students something to easier visualize? I am not at all sure how CS is taught in China and if anyone knows anything I would be very grateful.

Thanks

The majority of Chinese CS lessons are boring. Chinese students are used to be spoon-fed since grade schools, and in most of China's universities interactive teaching is uncommon, and many teachers just read stuff like PPT to students. It's cool if you can bring more fun in your lessons.

On 1/26/2024 at 6:21 PM, thechamp said:

I was planning to go through the theory of a simple datatype (eg a stack) and then code that in visual studio or IntelliJ (C# or java) and then go onto demonstrate how to write a 'pop' method for this stack.

I think it's fine for an interview, and java is more popular in China.

On 1/26/2024 at 6:21 PM, thechamp said:

Perhaps some game functionality would be more appropriate? Something in Unity to give the students something to easier visualize?

Game programming is usually not taught for CS in China. Students may be more interested in web programming and mobile phone programming. Maybe using HTML5 drag and drop to build a shopping cart is better? I don't know.