Chinese-Forums

Using Hanyu Da Cidian on Windows computers

KaMeLe

• New Members

Hey everyone, has there been any update regarding the use of the Hanyu da cidian on Windows computers? Both an earlier CD Rom version of the HYDCD which I used many years ago and the HYDCD addition to the lingoes platform (which stopped working recently) provided the option of having HYDCD entries opening in a pop-up-window whenever scrolling over a Chinese text (in Word, or on a website like ctext.org) with my cursor. This option is exactly what I would like to have again because it saves soooo much time when working on (ancient) Chinese texts. But (probably due to my lack of expertise) I have been unable to find any alternative. I do have the Pleco app with the HYDCD installed on my iphone, but it is just way less practical than it used to be with the old options on my computer. I'd be very grateful for any help/updates. Many thanks in advance!!

• New Members

Thanks, but I am afraid this option is no real equivalent to the HYDCD. For my research, central features of the latter (such as its sheer volume of entries and the inclusion of example sentences from all time periods) are the crucial point. I don’t think any other dictionary can beat the HYDCD in these aspects. But I am open to any further suggestions!