Chinese-Forums

Is 801室pronounced ba ling yao or ba ling yi?

vellocet

So, I always thought for numbers in a row, 1 is pronounced yao.  Although I don't really know why I think that or where I learned that.  But I've been getting a lot of deliveries where the delivery  man gets lost  and can't find my place and has to call me, despite my address being entered perfectly on the waybill.  And I'll say ba ling yao 室and he'll repeat back ba ling yi, which makes me think I'm wrong. 

Because when Chinese people repeat your words back to you, that means they didn't understand and are  seeking verification. Alternatively I'll say 8娄 ba ling yao 号or 8娄ba ling yi 号. Am I off here?  Look, I just want my chicken porrige before it gets cold. 

I think, but I'm not sure, that if you see it as a number it's ba ling yi and if you see it as a string of digits it's ba ling yao. So in case of an apartment on the 8th floor, ba ling yi seems to make sense. On the other hand, I'm not sure what that means for your hypothetical neighbours in 811, or their downstairs neighbours in 111.

Whatever the reason, if different delivery persons all say ba ling yi, that must be correct. I agree that 'repeats it back to you slightly different' is a correction.

• Like 1

first, 娄 is a surname. The character used for "floor" is 楼.

For 801 I think both pronunciations are okay. I tend to use yao1, but if someone said ba1ling2yi1 I won't say it's wrong. If there's double 1 or triple 1 or more, I'd say people tend to use yao1 then, since yi1yi1yi1 is too hard to understand.

And another tip is to accept the expression of native speakers, except for those times when other native speakers think it's wrong.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

On 2/26/2024 at 11:50 PM, vellocet said:

And I'll say ba ling yao 室and he'll repeat back ba ling yi, which makes me think I'm wrong. 

No, it's not your problem. Some people just aren't used to hearing the 'yao' pronunciation.

I'm same as

On 2/26/2024 at 11:50 PM, vellocet said:

numbers in a row, 1 is pronounced yao

Same, I always use yao1. My mother in law(黑龙江人) is here today, I just showed her: 801室 and asked “您怎么读?” She replied with no hesitation "八零yao1室“. I said "八零yi1?" just to see her reaction, and she said "幺幺幺!”

Is there any possibility that you are mispronouncing the Yao , like saying 要? or You1? Not suggesting you are, just putting it out there.

• Helpful 1

At 00:47 how a Beijinger pronounces 7-11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xiLQvUrcW8

5C. Yāo is an alternate word for yī “one” that is frequently used in China when referring to numbers, for example, in addresses and telephone numbers. The reason yāo is used is so as to prevent any possible confusion between yī “one” and qī “seven,” since in rapid conversation (for example, on the telephone) these could sound similar. Yāo is not commonly used in Taiwan. Also, yāo is never used in dates, so one can say only yīyuè “January” and èr-líng-yī-yī-nián “the year 2011.”

Kubler,Cornelius C.. Basic Spoken Chinese (Basic Chinese) (p. 213). Tuttle Publishing. Kindle Edition.

• Like 1

This seems to be my favorite thread at the moment🤣.

I just went to renew my driver's license today and had to do a vision test. Part of it was reading "916" in colored numbers on a colored background. I instinctively read it as 九幺六 and thought of this thread immediately after I said it. There was no correction, I passed the test and got a 10 year extension on my driver's license.

Unrelated to YAO1, but I love the fact that the only name on my DL is my Chinese name. I had it "officially" made into my Chinese name when I got the the DL the first time around. Of course it has my passport number on it as well. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 10:30 AM, suMMit said:

Unrelated to YAO1, but I love the fact that the only name on my DL is my Chinese name. I had it "officially" made into my Chinese name when I got the the DL the first time around.

I would personally have loved this as well, but I see a potential issue if you'd move out of China at some point. Do you have a non-Chinese driver's license with your legal name on it as well? It's possible (for some countries at least) to convert a Chinese driver's license into a local one, but that can become pretty difficult if the name on the license is not your legal name.

• 3 weeks later...