Chinese-Forums

AI powered language tool for Chinese?

Susi12

Dear Forum,

AI is just emerging all over the place and there are already some very serious applications for learning and studying Chinese. For example, my native language is German and I literally use DeepL Translator all the time because I think it is by far the most advanced and precise translator. ChatGPT is also not bad for translating text, but with the smartphone app etc. DeepL is just a step above and beyond that.

Now DeepL has another extremely handy feature called DeepL Write, which unfortunately only works for English and German, that will correct text written in these languages and put it more eloquently. I use it every day, even for forum posts like this one - because they just sound so much better. The corrected sentences sound very natural and grammatically correct - better than my English.

Is there anything like this available in the Chinese language? I would LOVE to see this because my problems with Chinese are far greater. For example, I have a lot of trouble with sentence order and could really use a tool where I could just type a sentence on the phone - and get a corrected sentence back. I asked ChatGPT if it knew of anything similar and it pointed to Baidu Wenku. So I downloaded the app and looked around a bit, but could not find anything similar to the DeepL Write feature. While I am impressed by how creative Baidu's AI is in generating text from basically nothing, I could not find a feature to simply correct sentences or rewrite them into nicer sounding words.

But then again, I still have to use on-screen translation, etc. to navigate around the Baidu website and app. Has anyone here come across anything useful for a Chinese learner?

On 3/14/2024 at 11:53 AM, realmayo said:

I have a prompt for ChatGPT4,

realmayo, what exactly do you tell ChatGPT and are you happy with the results? 4 is the latest paid version, right? I'm only using the free version right now.

On 3/14/2024 at 4:23 PM, lordsuso said:

Sorry for going off-topic, but I find Baidu Translate much better than DeepL Translator

No problem lordsuso. But yes, it's a language problem indeed. Baidu recently changed the app so that you can only access German in the VIP = paid version. And while my English is ok, I'm simply not a native so translating (in my head) into English first and then into Chinese takes a) to long and b) makes the translation quality even worse. If Baidu ever went back to making it free, I'd be glad to switch back to Baidu as DeepL works without VPN sometimes, but not always. Haven't found the pattern quite yet, so that's a real drawback.

• Like 1