Chinese-Forums

Open universities

Wings of Desire

• New Members

Are any Chinese Universities open universities, in English?

I could not find a way to make my own thread, how is it done here?

I am interested in writing for Mandarin and Cantonese readers. Via a translator.

It seems like you are asking three separated questions so I'll answer it one by one.

On 3/26/2024 at 1:18 AM, Wings of Desire said:

Are any Chinese Universities open universities, in English?

Which subjects are you focusing on? There are some MOOCs in English but on some platform where the main language's still Chinese. If you search for Chinese lessons taught in English, then the HSK course by Peking University, which many members have recommended in different topics, could be found on Youtube. You can simply find them by searching "HSK Peking University" on Youtube. If you are looking for something like an online university offering online degree or certificate programmes taught in English, I'd say there are online universities or open universities(well, those which only offer on-campus programmes) in Mainland China, but never would they give lectures in English(after all, why should they offering English lectures as continuing education institutions, since English seldom shows up in everyday life of China.). I'm not quite sure about the details of Taiwan province, Hong Kong or Macau SAR but by searching on google I saw only a handful of "online degree programmes" I'd say. 

I could not find a way to make my own thread, how is it done here?

Well you have already started your own thread by asking this question I bet.

I am interested in writing for Mandarin and Cantonese readers. Via a translator.

Translators are unreliable I must emphasise. You could not judge whether a translation is good or at least acceptable or not if you don't have abundant knowledge of a certain language, especially Chinese languages which use quotations, metaphors a lot and have many taboos. And the written version(e.g. newspapers in Hong Kong) and the spoken version of Cantonese(e.g. Sometimes you may see it as comments under a Cantonese video on Youtube) are quite different.