Chinese-Forums

Accredited Chinese culture courses online

娜娜

• New Members

Hi

I'm looking for an accredited course on Chinese culture, history and business. They can be separate courses. One that comes with a certificate and meaningful assessment. Purely online and nothing too pricey. Any advice?

Look also into edX, it has some splendid courses about China's history, culture, language etc. run by top institutions. Search for 'China' or 'Chinese'. I don't know whether Harvard University's China X is still available, I did the first edition (10 years ago!) and wholeheartedly recommend it, I understand it was the same standard as the Campus course at Harvard. It was fun, interesting and instructive. Columbia University's course on Chinese philosophy is also a very good course (rather demanding but worth it). 

edX has 2 options: free (access to all lectures and videos, but no certificate, drills or exam, more limited access to class material), and fee paying (access to everything and a certificate on completion) The fees vary a bit but they seem reasonable considering what you get.

On 3/29/2024 at 7:05 AM, Luxi said:

I don't know whether Harvard University's China X is still available, I did the first edition (10 years ago!) and wholeheartedly recommend it, I understand it was the same standard as the Campus course at Harvard.

Agree with @Luxi 100%. I also completed the splendid original course. Took an addition from them (Harvard) last spring which focused on the modern years in China. Excellent coverage of Taiwan and Hong Kong. Lots of it had to do with business; in fact, parts of the course, if I remember correctly, were done in conjunction with Harvard Business School. 

Looks like that part at least is still available: https://www.edx.org/xseries/harvard-university-china-modern-world 

The basic course is free, but an accreditation certificate is available for a small fee. 

@abcdefg So glad you enjoyed China X too! Thanks for mentioning the addition on modern China. I'll have a look. I noticed the China X Series had later been split into imperial and modern, which is good, modern China was originally squeezed at the end of a very long series and didn't get as much time and space as it deserved.  

Sadly, currently there are few 'live' courses from the China X series leading to a certificate, though enough to make it worth visiting the site.  Hopefully, new courses may appear or archived ones revived if there is enough interest.

The good news is, all the China X series is available, and free. There are no assessment, exams or certificate, but all the video lectures are still there. The way it's organised, one can just pick up a topic of interest, without having to do a whole set.