Chinese-Forums

Reading a Shanghainese Novel

dakonglong

Hi All!

I often use the Publishing Perspectives China Bestseller list to find new books to read (https://publishingperspectives.com/2024/02/china-bestsellers-in-january-fond-memories-drive-sales/) and this month I was super excited to come across a book I hadn't heard of before that looked really interesting, "Blossoms Shanghai". I was about to choose this as my next book until I came across this Wikipedia article which states that it's written in Shanghainese: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jin_Yucheng. That leads me to a couple of questions: (1) does anyone know if this book is really written 100% in Shanghainese? This Publishing Perspectives list says it's currently #14 on the China bestsellers list, but that seems hard to imagine if it's written in a language that (based on some quick math I found online) only about 1% China's population actively speaks. (2) Per #1, if the standard version really is written in Shanghainese, does anyone know if there a Mandarin version? Amazon just shows the languages for the two versions they carry as "Chinese" so I have been unable to differentiate myself. Finally (3) If the standard version really is 100% Shanghainese, how hard would it be for me to read that version, given that I can read Mandarin novels pretty fluently at this point? Based on my initial research, my guess is really, really hard (one article I found said that Mandarin and Shanghainese words only overlap like 25%) which would mean 75%+ unknown works and I know from experience that even 10%+ can be a major struggle.

If, by some chance, this book is only partially in Shanghainese, I'm actually super excited to learn a few new phrases, but I don't think I'm up to the challenge of trying to learn a whole new dialect just to read one book.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

• Good question! 1

The Baidu article suggests it's got a lot of dialect colour rather than actually being written in a full attempt at Wu Chinese:

对方言的化用也是《繁花》的亮点。在《繁花》中,作者采用了诸多方言,如“霞气好”“霞气漂亮”“汏浴”“适意”“膘劲”“老卵”等词;小说中说“事体”,不说“事情”,说“是吧”、“好吧”,不说“是吗”、“好吗”,说“立起”,不说“站起”;小说还用了“橄榄屁股”“拾到皮夹子”“叫花子吃死蟹”等一系列熟语。这些带着沪腔沪调的用语带着浓浓的沪式风味,而金宇澄用这些词汇又有讲究,他能够让文本有着沪式腔调,而不让人产生隔阂,这些用语是上海的口语,但是又能一眼看出它们的词义,完全没有阅读上的障碍,虽是一种陌生化的形态,但又是熟悉的内涵。将方言融入得这般巧妙,离不开作者对于语言的斟酌,“很多沪语句子,不易书面表达,只能反复舍弃,反复拿捏,用心良苦,因此语言上,实际过渡到了所谓‘蓝青官话’程度。

From 繁花(金宇澄创作的长篇小说)_百度百科 (baidu.com)

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1