Chinese-Forums

BOOKSHOPS IN SHANGHAI 2024

bailing

Hello! To all the people living in Shanghai:  We need your help!

We will be in Shanghai during May 1st holiday. We are interested in buying dictionaries and HSK materials; can you please indicate what bookshops are worth going? The areas we will visit are: Tianzifang, Xintiandi, Century Park. Last year we went in Fuzhou Road, but bookshops were closed …

Thank you!

I buy books online from JingDong, but there are other such services like TaoBao, etc.  This is likely a better approach if possible.  (Of course, you need to be a bit careful to make sure the online shop actually has the book and can post it in time.)  I don't recall ever seeing HSK materials in a brick-and-mortar book store.

Can I suggest adding to your shopping list 语文 textbooks (especially grades 3 and 4)?  Consider also grade-7 geography 地理 and Chinese history 中国历史 which is helpful background knowledge for HSK exams.  Also consider getting Chinese translations of Roald Dahl novels, the usual novels 《活着》, 《猫城记》, which are among the easiest adult non-translated novels to read, and maybe 《三体》 because it's so popular.

• Like 1

I found a report on Shanghai Foreign Languages University Bookstore: https://www.sohu.com/a/410331627_120209830. You could find the books there, probably.

Additionally, I found a recommended list of bookstores in Shanghai: https://mbd.baidu.com/newspage/data/dtlandingsuper?nid=dt_5609695509944896560. This might be helpful to you.

• Like 1