Chinese-Forums

Astrill VPN alternatives?

Weyland

My Astrill experience has been anything but stable these past few months, and as my subscription is finish at the end of week, is there an alternative? On my phone I often have to try half a dozen servers before I get a connection stable enough to open Google/Youtube. And let's not even mention trying to get a connection stable enough to call through Whatsapp.

Any suggestions as to Astrill alternatives?

On 4/10/2024 at 1:46 PM, becky82 said:

I use this one: https://glados.rocks/

On 4/10/2024 at 8:34 PM, jannesan said:

I used LetsVPN

Have either of you tried these with websites such as ChatGPT? Tried a couple Chinese ones today, and they all failed to properly mask my IP.

On 4/10/2024 at 6:44 PM, Jim said:

I've had trouble with Astrill using the default OpenWeb but it's been fine using the Stealth VPN network. Have you tried that? 

Reinstalled AstrillVPN just now, just to be sure, but even Stealth VPN fails to connect and gives me "failed to open tun". Whereas the StealthVPN on my PC has no such issue. This isn't the first time. Somehow, it also only shows like 1/20 servers on the OpenWeb stance.

On 4/10/2024 at 9:11 PM, Weyland said:

Have either of you tried these with websites such as ChatGPT? Tried a couple Chinese ones today, and they all failed to properly mask my IP.

I use the Glados one with ChatGPT virtually every day.  (You can see me ask ChatGPT questions in my YouTube videos.)  If it doesn't work I use Poe.com.  I sometimes have had trouble with getting it to run on my phone via the app (sometimes ChatGPT just doesn't respond to questions I ask), but it works on my laptop fairly continuously.

Struggling to access ChatGPT in China might not be a VPN issue: it's not just that ChatGPT is blocked in China, it's that ChatGPT doesn't operate in China.  Glados has these comments on their website about OpenAI.