Chinese-Forums

Lijiang, Yunnan

Larry Language Lover

On 4/25/2024 at 11:07 PM, Singe said:

In terms of safety I had also heard of the occasional report of solo hikers being subjected to personal safety issues.

I hadn't heard of this before going, but thankfully I didn't experience anything like this. There were enough hikers on the trail where I never really felt alone. In fact, I actually made a few friends along the way (and I'm pretty introverted - so that really speaks to the friendliness of the travelers on the trail). The only person who bothered me at all was a local who insisted I ride his horse up the 28 bends (for a fee, of course) but he was completely harmless and left me alone after I told him no twenty-or-so times.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

On 4/26/2024 at 10:17 PM, abcdefg said:

Bear in mind that summer, the time of year for Larry's proposed trip, is rainy season in most of Yunnan and definitely in and around Lijiang

This is important. How is the rain in Kunming during summer? 

On 4/24/2024 at 12:51 PM, Jan Finster said:

What I would not like about the alternatives to Kunming at Keats is that you stay/live with the teacher (correct me if I am wrong) (!?)

So, do you mean if you use Keats at Lijiang you have to stay with the teacher? I must look in to this as I've thought about Keats and splitting my time between Kunming and Lijiang. I know others don't necessarily find Keats a good option but, for me, it's probably a decent one. Another option is Guilin which, coincidently, is the sister city of the town I live in in NZ. I think matteo (from this forum) enjoyed his time there.

On 4/27/2024 at 6:46 PM, Singe said:

So, do you mean if you use Keats at Lijiang you have to stay with the teacher

No, I think I was mistaken about this. You get private accommodation but the teacher is going on sightseeing trips with you every day according to the website. The accommodation is in Shuhe Old Town, which is nice because there are literally hundreds of shops where you can practice your Chinese. However, it is a bit out of the main town... 

Why would Keats not be a good option? Does it not depend on the teacher and you (I am only talking 1:1 lessons here). 

I think abcdefg's comment regarding weather is important and I would probably take this into account. In winter time LTL  in Beihai might be a reasonable option (however still more expensive than Keats) 

On 4/26/2024 at 10:05 PM, Jan Finster said:

This is important. How is the rain in Kunming during summer? 

Kunming is also quite wet during rainy season, 雨季,from early or mid-June until at least mid-August. The "shoulder weeks" before and after are less predictable from year to year. The reason the rain is less of a problem in Kunming, compared with Lijiang, is that when Lijiang rebuilt after the big fire in Old Town in 2013, municipal drainage projects did not get as much attention as other, more pressing matters, such as promoting business development.  Secondly, when it rains in Kunming, there are plenty of interesting "indoors" things to do; less so in Lijiang, though that has been improving with every season.

To backtrack a minute. I'm not saying Kunming is "better" in every way. But Lijiang has been harmed in recent years by a huge influx of domestic tourists that have strained its resources. The natural beauty and charm of the place have been somewhat degraded by the endless stream of cheap package tours that bring millions upon millions of domestic visitors for all-inclusive "4 days, 3 nights" quickie tours. A guide with a pennant flag and a megaphone shepherds these flocks to all "the sights." 

It is still possible to get beneath the surface in Lijiang, but it takes more skill and more time than it would if the place were less popular. (Just one person's opinion.) 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

Larry Language Lover
On 4/25/2024 at 1:50 PM, abcdefg said:

Larry, How much time do you have for this China trip, from touchdown in country to take-off?

Not confirmed for sure yet.  Depends on wife's and daughter's work schedules.