Chinese-Forums

Travel ideas, driving routes in 青海

suMMit

Anyone have recommendations for Qinghai (or Gansu)? 

Wife and I planning a somewhat ambitious driving trip very soon from Beijing through 山西,陕西,甘肃, 青海,宁夏. We have most of May, we both can drive. Basically aiming for round trip to Dunhuang and back. Kind of something like the map attached (but the qinghai part is just a line because I have no idea). 

Shanxi, Shaanxi we are going to stop at a few less popular places, no Xian as I've been there many times. Then from Yan'an approach Gansu or Qinghai. 

Gansu seems pretty self explanatitory(at least the western part, but I'm not quite sure about Qinghai. Such a large province. 

I'm trying to decide if I want to go Qinghai first and then up to Dunhuang or get to Dunhuang and then head down to Qinghai. Also unsure if I should attempt driving all the way down to Yushu or just stick to the North part of the province. Anyone have any first hand experience in Qinghai, what to see where to go, routes? I'm researching online, but I thought I'd ask here too. 

I will probably put pictures from the trip on my blog as we go. 

IMG_20240423_221102.jpg

• Like 2
  • Good question! 2

On 4/25/2024 at 8:30 AM, suMMit said:

Anyone have any first hand experience in Qinghai, what to see where to go, routes?

Be sure to include the lake. It's the biggest inland lake in China and very scenic. Salt water. I didn't believe it until I tasted it. Went there by public bus in late spring or early summer, but don't remember the route. 青海湖

• Like 2