Chinese-Forums

Helen's mom's birthday on moon festival

kudra

This is from a listening exercise from David and Helen in China.

Here is a link to the audio file.

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/ealac/zhang/dh/dh_audio/08c.mp3

between approx. 2:40 and 3:18 we have the following exchange between Helen and her landlady. I'm working purely from the audio, so any corrections would be appreciated.

房東﹕... 你在美國的時候﹐中秋節都是怎麼過得﹖

海林﹕中秋節不是美國人的節日。很多華人也都不注意這個日子了。可是在我們家

裡﹐中秋就是一個受重視的日子。因為這一天不但是中國人的節日﹐而且也是我媽

媽的生日。所以每年中秋節我們都過得很熱鬧。除了在家吃月餅以外﹐爸爸還會帶

我們全家人上中國館子去吃一聞(燉﹖)可口的中國菜呢。

房东:... 你在美国的时候,中秋节都是怎么过得?

海林:中秋节不是美国人的节日。很多华人也都不注意这个日子了。可是在我们家

里,中秋就是一个受重视的日子。因为这一天不但是中国人的节日,而且也是我妈

妈的生日。所以每年中秋节我们都过得很热闹。除了在家吃月饼以外,爸爸还会带

我们全家人上中国馆子去吃一闻(炖?)可口的中国菜呢。

Here's my translation:

The landlady asks how the Chinese Autumn festival(Moon festival) is celebrated in America. Helen answers that Chinese Autumn festival is not an American holiday. Many American Chinese also do not pay attention to this holiday. But in

her family the Moon Festival receives a lot of attention. This is because

this day, while not only being a Chinese holiday, moreover is also Helen's

mother's birthday. Therefore, they celebrate every Moon Festival with gusto.

Besides eating Moon cakes at home, her father takes the whole family out

to a Chinese restaurant to eat aromatic(stew of ? ) and tasty Chinese food.

So I have 2 questions, there is 1(or possibly 2 characters I can't hear clearly in the last sentence. If someone could help out with that I'd be grateful.

The 2nd question, is the issue of how 中秋節 cold fall on Helen's mothers birthday every year given that I thought the Moon festival falls on the night of a full moon, it won't be the same day of the year each year. (See another astronomy type question)

So there are 3 possibilities.

1. A case of oversight by the author..

2. You can interpret this as mother's birthday being approximately on the moon festival, so they celebrate both on the moon festival.

3. Even though the Helen's family has been living in the US for the past 15-20 years, their family is so traditional that they celebrate mother's birthday according to the lunar calendar.

Opinions? I suppose I could email the author.

房东:... 你在美国的时候,中秋节都是怎么过

海林:中秋节不是美国人的节日。很多华人也都不注意这个日子了。可是在我们家里,中秋是一个受重视的日子。因为这一天不但是中国人的节日,而且也是我妈妈的生日。所以每年中秋节我们都过得很热闹。除了在家吃月饼以外,爸爸还会带我们全家人上中国馆子去吃一可口的中国菜呢。

顿 is the measure word for a meal or a feast.

Question 2: Some Chinese celebrate their birthdays according to the lunar/traditional calendar, which they believe is more accurate, the night of the full moon is always on August 15th, thus the mid autumn festival.

Helen's mom's birthday on moon festival

Helen's Mom is having a festival to celebrate her birthday on the moon? I think not.

I think you mean "Helen's Mom's Birthday coincides with the Moon Festival". Am I right?

To native English speakers this might sound like I am being pedantic, as it is extremely unlikely that Helen's Mom and her friends would be able to travel to the moon to conduct the celebration, but some people may not be able to translate or understand it correctly, if the meaning is obscure.

A bit like the "temples on each side of your head" and "religious temple building" obscurity in another thread I read.

The landlady asks how the Chinese Autumn festival(Moon festival) is celebrated in America. Helen answers that Chinese Autumn festival is not an American holiday. Many American Chinese also do not pay attention to this holiday. But in

her family the Moon Festival receives a lot of attention. This is because

this day, while not only being a Chinese holiday, moreover is also Helen's

mother's birthday. Therefore, they celebrate every Moon Festival with gusto.

Besides eating Moon cakes at home, her father takes the whole family out

to a Chinese restaurant to eat aromatic(stew of ? ) and tasty Chinese food.

I can't read the Chinese, but I think your translation is probably almost correct.

I guess it should read, roughly

"The Landlady asks Helen how the Chinese Autumn (Moon) Festival is celebrated in America. Helen answers that it is not an American holiday and many Chinese Americans don't bother to celebrate it. However, in her family the Moon Festival gets a lot of attention, because it is also her Mother's birthday, so they celebrate it with gusto. Besides eating Moon Cakes at home, her Father takes the whole family out to a Chinese restaurant for a nice Chinese meal.

(Although I think the "for a nice Chinese meal" bit would probably be implied in English, as you wouldn't go to a restaurant on someone's birthday to vacuum the floor, or clean your shoes.)

I think most people in these forums, when parsing this sentence, would know moon festival to be one word.

However, it is interesting that you point it out, I didn't notice the ambiguity; especially in intercultural settings, minimizing ambiguity in language is extremely important.

Question 2: Some Chinese celebrate their birthdays according to the lunar/traditional calendar, which they believe is more accurate, the night of the full moon is always on August 15th, thus the mid autumn festival.

To avoid confusion, I think it is more accurate to say that the mid-autumn festival is always on the 15th day of the eighth lunar month.