Chinese-Forums

Ep8 Plot - Chinese Style Divorce

roddy

I have watched 6 and 7, but didn't get round to writing anything up.

I'm currently getting through this at about an episode a day.

This episode starts off with a bit of a sit-com scene, when Xiaofeng doesn't go to Dongbei and Juanzi's wedding, and Jianping invites Xiaoli to go along, where she (who'd of thought it!) is mistaken for his wife. Next, Xiaofeng turns up (who'd of thought it!) and has to be deflected by a quick-thinking Dongbei. Nicely done though - perhaps I'm easily fooled but I was convinced she was going to find him drunk on the sofa next to Xiaofeng.

We then get Dongbei and Juanzi shopping, when Dongbei has some kind of brain fart and decides to tell Juanzi that Xiaoli is Jianping's lover.

The rest of the episode is focussing on Xiaofeng being an oppressed housewife and teacher, ending up with her quitting her job as her class is falling behind and kicking Dangdang's irritating toys across the floor. Jianping meanwhile comes in skipping and dancing because he's been promoted. We also get a few moments between Juanzi and Jianping where you can see Juanzi thinking 'I know what you're up to' and Jianping thinking 'go away you silly little girl'.

General comment: is it just me or are the drunk scenes in this (and Chinese TV in general, I guess) particularly bad. They should have special classes on this at acting school.

Roddy

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, the drunk scenes are bad. And Jianping gets sauced really quick. OK, he does drink a lot, but he should really know better? And when he was dancing with pretty Xiaoli, he was kissing – or trying to kiss- her. Right? What was that all about. She didn’t seem to mind too much now, did she? You think she’s got the hots for him?

You know, I’ve been wondering: perhaps Dongbei really thinks that Xiaoli and Jianping are lovers. Since he’s a playboy himself, that’s not too far fetched. I thought I liked him, but how can he be so indiscreet?! I wonder where this will go. Well, of course the shit is going to hit the fan sooner or later, but I wonder just how it will happen.

Also, I’m still waiting for Jianping to mess up surgery. That’s so going to happen!

Oh. Darn it. Just realized that the last post about Zhongguo Shi Lihun is several week old. Too bad. Anybody still watching it?

I'm still watching....just haven't been contributing!!!!!!!

I thought Dongbei told Juanzi that Xiaoli was Jianping's wife but that he also had a lover....did I misunderstand that?? That's not unlikely.....

I have to say that Xiaofeng is starting to annoy me...is she a manic depressive or something? I mean, the woman is never happy. i.e. First she's not happy because her husband doesn't earn enough money and she wants him to get a better job, then when he does she's not happy because he's never home, so she's too busy, then when she quits her job she's bored at home with not enough to do. I think she needs a good slap personally!!!!!

Brain fart....I like it Roddy!!!

Dongbei told Juanzi that Xiaofeng was Jianping's lover. The story like most trashy soaps is completely unbelievable but I didn't find that it had continuity issues.

I've finished watching it now. The most striking thing about the series is how utterly stupid each of the adult characters are. You start to feel that one of them is not so bad and then they go and do something pathetic.

All I will say is that Dang Dang will be permanently scarred for life. In the end nobody is happy but 'fortunately' lessons have been learnt all-round. :nono