Chinese-Forums

New cooperative study idea, Roddy can you chime in

necroflux

Hey everyone, I have an idea of a cool way to cooperatively study but I need Roddy's approval for this one.

I regularly study various taiwanese comic books to practice my reading comprehension. Granted, this isn't the best written material available, but I find that the pictures accompanying the text are great for revealing the emotional context behind what is being said. For example, a 糟糕 accompanied by a look of frustration or anger helps to reveal the word's meaning.

So I would like to start scanning pages a posting them to a thread here along with as much of the translations as I can complete (often not very much), then I would hope others would chime in with what they know so that a consensus translation could be reached. I believe this use of the material would constitute fair-use under educational usage, but this isn't my site so Roddy please let me know what you think.

This is fine by me, few comments

1) The attachment function here isn't currently working, so you'll have to find somewhere else to upload the files in the meantime.

2) Link to the images, rather than include them inline

3) Try and have one long topic, rather than one topic for each page.

4) Reading / Writing forum would be best, if it becomes popular then you can have your own sub-forum / usergroup.

I think that's all. Good luck.

Roddy

I believe this use of the material would constitute fair-use under educational usage, but this isn't my site so Roddy please let me know what you think.

hehe, photocopying is a way of life in taiwan. its considered perfectly fair to pop down to the local photocopy shop and hand over a complete book, have it copied and bound for next to nothing...

Still, sounds like a good idea to me... i suggest you scan in the complete 蠟筆小新 comics

and have everyone dying of laughter...

Lol, as luck would have it I do have an issue of 蠟筆小新, I also have "Dan Detective Story", which is pretty interesting stuff, but since two of you voted for this one (which I haven't even tried reading) we'll start with that! I'll start posting tomorrow.

Great to have you on board!

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do this, as I think a very well thought out format could make this one of the best study tools available. After a year of studying I strongly believe that memorizing individual characters can only take one so far in studies - maybe 500 or so - before it becomes necessary to understand characters as they pertain to an actual sentence/phrase.

I think the best way would be for every new comic book to have it's own thread, with the first post being a regularly updated result of our translation. Hopefully if this works well we can get a couple books going at once for variety, I may even do that myself.

I'll just post a page right now and we'll see how it goes. Give me an hour or so.