Chinese-Forums

Kid questions :) Coats, gymnastics, piano & more

kimberlyandkeith

I've got some questions that I'd love to have answered! :)

Does anyone know if we can get good, thick, nice quality coats for the kids (they'll be 2 & 3 at that time) in China? Or should we purchase nice coats in the US before we come to China?

What about kids' clothing? Is it of okay quality and decent price? I am not terribly picky, but some bootcut jeans and long sleeved tshirts and such for the girls is standard here, so something remotely similar. Boots for winter?

Piano lessons? We'll be homeschooling the girls, but would like to enroll them in piano lessons. How much is a piano tutor or piano lessons?

Gymnastics? Is it possible to find a *fun* not psycho-competitive gymnastics program? We don't want to train them for the Olympics, just want them to have a good time.

Answers from anywhere in China are welcome, although we'll most likely be in northern China.

Does anyone know if we can get good, thick, nice quality coats for the kids (they'll be 2 & 3 at that time) in China? Or should we purchase nice coats in the US before we come to China?

Heavy coats (inc. down ones) are available in China and are cheap. For off the shelf purchases, you really need to be about Chinese size. ie. no greater than about 5 foot 10 and not overweight. If you are Chinese size they are widely available. In this case I would wait until after arriving to buy the costs.

Tailored coats can also be made for larger sizes (both height and weight), but these can take a day or two to make up. In this case, I possibly would take you own as you will need a coat soon after arriving (in the winter).

What about kids' clothing? Is it of okay quality and decent price? I am not terribly picky, but some bootcut jeans and long sleeved tshirts and such for the girls is standard here, so something remotely similar. Boots for winter?

Quality can be variable, but if you check the clothes well (make sure that the material and stitching is reasonable quality), there are great bys for kids clothes. Only real exception if you the kids are huge (weight and height).

You will find that many of the current fashions (clothes and shoes) are available in stores and from stallls. You may have to make a few compromises as the clothes and shoes may not be exact replicas of those in the US.

Piano and gynastic lessons are available. Availaibility will be depended on where you are located. Something best to ask after arrival. Ask at one of the local schools (ask the Chinese English teachers) for assistance and they should be able to give you local contacts and help you arrange things.

Ha! Yes, the kids are pretty normal sized! :) Although my now-2-year-old is *very* *very* tall for her age (well off the doctor's chart for American kids)... But I'm sure we can get appropriate sizes for her :)

Thanks for the input, any more is also welcome! :)