Chinese-Forums

Windows XP User Needs Help

DEEMP

Im trying to view some websites that are in Chinese, but it wont display correct. I tried downloading a language pack for Chinese, but it wont allow me download it successfully. It seems like im missing several files. It says I need the Windows XP CD, but I dont have it. Is there a way to download all the files I would need? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

The other option is to download NJStar

http://www.njstar.com/

Although NJStar is shareware, the program continues to function after the free trial period of 30 days. The punishment: for each day over the 30 days (if you don't buy), you must wait 1 second for the program to work. So after 1 year you have to wait 1 hour. Can anybody here confirm that?

correction:

Bad math. A year is approximately 365 days, makes a penalty delay of 365 seconds, that's around 6 minutes.

To enable support for Asian fonts in XP (assuming you're using an English version of XP):

Select Control Panel ->Regional Languages and Settings and select "Languages tab"

You need to have a checkmark on "Install files for East Asian languages".

Then click Apply (You might need your XP CD for this -- depending on if the CD was installed on the hard drive or not). You might also need to reboot.

After the above step is complete (perhaps after reboot, if needed), THEN do the control panel -> Regional Settings again, an select "Languages" tab again. This time select the "Details" button.

You can add direct support for entering Chinese via Pinyin, or other keyboard layouts, etc. You can also add handwriting recognition for Chinese characters, if you're using a Tablet PC.

If you google on the "Regional Languages and Settings", I am sure you can find better instructions that the above. Hope it helps.

The punishment: for each day over the 30 days (if you don't buy)' date=' you must wait 1 second for the program to work. So after 1 year you have to wait 1 hour. Can anybody here confirm that?[/quote']

I can confirm that 335 (336 if leap year) days would be equal to 335 seconds. And that is equal to 5min 35sec, not 1 hour.