Chinese-Forums

Leave career in US to study abroad?

tcador

I'm curious if anyone has done something similar to what I'm suggesting...

I'm currently a software developer working in the United States. I was born and raised here and only visited Beijing for about 2 weeks with my finance, who in comparison was born and raised in Beijing and only recently ('98) moved to the United States. We've both decided that we would like to spend at least a couple of years living and working in Beijing. The problem is I've only got minimal Chinese speaking skills from personal lessons I've received, so finding a job is going to be difficult compared to a similarly qualified bilingual applicant. She is staying in the United States until December 2006 when she completes her masters’ degree.

I just turned 25 and I've decided I don't want to wait much longer before I begin really learning Chinese. And what better way is there than actually living in Beijing? I'm considering moving to Beijing in early 2006 and attending BLCU for at least semester to better my speaking skills. There are a couple of options related to living arrangements - one being I could stay with her parents. With a commute time about an hour compared to 15-20 minutes living on or nearby campus, I think I would prefer living nearby seeing that I've virtually got no Chinese skills at this point.

Now my questions, finally you may be saying :). How many others have just up and left a professional career in the US to do this type of thing? I understand I won't be working for some time while in Beijing and my software developer skills may be useless anyways compared to similar talent in China. This is something I've thought long and hard about, but so far it's been just that - thought.

I planned end of 2007 finished up bachaelor's degree and working in Shanghai in China. On the side, depending on my schedule take up Chinese mandarin lessons in a University to improve on my chinese. I read many forums about this, seems many people are interested in doing this. The tough part is we all have this uncertainty how useful is our skils in the USA can be used in China. For me, I am bilinguial both in Chinese mandarin and English.

I am also planning this, possibly starting next May or June (2006). However, I will have (at that time) about two years of Adult Education in Chinese. Not much, but a start.

I plan on at least a year to study just Chinese before looking into starting an international consulting company, or perhaps joiining an existing one.

I've been in software consulting since 1981. My problem is that I'm at the upper age limit (or beyond) for most of the Universities there.

Keep reading this board. The best resource I've found by far!

I left my career in the US to go to college in Japan. I had to deal with the expense of the trip, loss of salary, loss of new opportunity within my current job, loss of where I could be or what I could have if I did not go, ect. ect.

Did I make use of my Japanese after the trip? No, not really. I ended up marrying the Chinese girl I was dating before I left...hahaha.. Do I regret going? Absolutely, positively not. I feel it was one of the best decisions I ever made just for the experience and the life enrichment. I say go and make the most of it... while your still young. You might pickup quite a bit more spoken Chinese living with her parents. However, that's always a touchy situation. Instead, I'd just get out and about more by myself which would force me to learn the language.

Last year I graduated with a Software Engineering degree and have been working part-time and full time for the past 4 years. This year while working full time for a software development company I have been taking night classes in beginner Chinese. I'm 22.

I've also decided to pack up and leave my stable, quite well paying job to study Chinese in Beijing next year. My friends and family can't quite understand why I'd want to do this, but basically I'm just trying to enrich my life experience. Hopefully after I put in some full time study for 6 or 12 months I'll be able to get some work with a multi-national or something, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that I'm in a similar situation to you, and if you've got the opportunity and determination, I think you should do it while you still can!

I appreciate all the replies, it's really helped me think about things.

小林 - Your reply hit it on the nose for me. No one, especially my mom, can figure out why I want to do this. I've been working full-time for the past two years and there is definitely something missing in my life. I look forward to the challenges of studying and living abroad and hope that my friends and family will understand at some point.

I'm starting to "prepare" for the trip, whether it's in early 2006 or mid 2006. I've lowered my 401k contribution and now I'm working on getting rid of some of the stuff I've accumulated over the past couple of years. I also need to figure out what to do with my house, I'll probably sell it, but as many of you know that takes some time.

stephanhodgas,

I don't have links, what I mean is everyone is willing to go into anywhere in China Universities and planned on learning Chinese. Some of the Universities are mentioned on this forum are BCLU, Pudongdai xue in Shanghai, Chengdu Universities. It seems everyone on this forum are starting creating an community to expand their knowledge of the Chinese language. You can check out Universities and Schol section so much stuff to read on.