Chinese-Forums

Seeing a doctor in Beijing

maxham

Anyone got any info on where to see a doctor in Beijing? I have medical insurance but there's an excess of A$250 so chances are I won't be covered. I'm not looking for the best, most expensive medical centre in Beijing......I just need to see a GP.

Any suggestions welcome........

Thanks

As is so often the case, I'll prefix this with the usual disclaimer - this is mostly what I've heard over the years, and I am not speaking from personal experience - especially in this case, as I haven't yet needed a doctor in China.

The best 'Chinese' hospital is generally considered to be the Peking Union - 北京协和医院 at Dongdan. Expensive by Chinese standards, but cheap compared to the ex-pat options. If I remember correctly they have a special wing where they deal exclusively with rich folk, be they foreign or Chinese. Come out of Dongdan subway station and walk a few hundred meters north, it's on the left. Don't accidentally walk into New Oriental Plaza shopping center.

The HK and Macau Medical Center in the Swissotel (港澳中心) at Dongsishitiao is a foreign run place. It's more a clinic than hospital, but for seeing a GP it will be fine. Apparently this place is a kind of lower-cost ex-pat option - foreign staff / doctors, but significantly cheaper than other foreign run options. This is the only medical facility I've used in China excluding residence permit health checks, and it was only for follow-up tests, but it seemed like a pretty friendly and efficient place. They didn't charge me for the GP consultation, which suited me fine as a) I didn't want to see a GP anyway and B) he only talked about how much he liked Edinburgh. Exit C of Dongsishitiao Subway, and walk through the hotel to the office tower at the back.

The full-on expat options I don't know about, but I'd imagine they're both excellent and very expensive. Check thatsbj or City Weekend for ads.

Roddy

Purely for the record, and to introduce some balance, I wish to state that I harbour some reservations about Edinburgh!

But as far as the medical fraternity are concerned, I have used Beijing United Family Hospital a couple of times and have been delighted with their ability to keep me alive!

http://www.bjunited.com.cn/