Chinese-Forums

Espionage Movie

liao

I'm hoping someone here remembers the following:

There is a movie that I saw part of on TV during the 80s. I was skipping school and saw the movie in the afternoon, so I know it was an older movie--possibly 1970s. There is a worldwide conspiracy taking place and the code to the various criminals is being passed along through a book. This book has become a best-seller in every country its appeared in (I know, it sounds like Dan Brown, but I guess at the time this plot was still a stretch of the imagination). The director of the office asks his Chinese co-worker, a woman, what a certain character means. She replies "top, or the best." Apparently this charcter has something to do with the nefarious book's translation into Chinese.

That's all I remember of the movie. I saw years before I ever moved to Taiwan, but once I began learning Chinese and know what the word could have been, I've been anxious to find this movie.

I'd appreciate any help you could give me.

Liao