Chinese-Forums

Extending F Visas?

billybot

Hello. I am new to the board and am very happy to see that there is a vibrant community of people studying in China. Hello.

I plan on attending BLCU for at least a semester (Feb-Jul). However, with travelling before and after the program, I believe I will be overstaying the 6 months on the F Visa. I am sure this happens a lot and am wondering what others have done in this case. Is it easy to get BLCU to sign off on an extension? Is it easier/more convienient to get a X Visa?

Any opinions or experiences will be greatly appreciated!:help

• 3 weeks later...

I am also planning to china on an F visa. From the research ive done though, if you are wanting to stay longer than 6 months it should be much less of a hassle to get the X visa in your country. You would have to get the physical examination though, but atleast if you get it in your own country you wont (usually) have to get it done in china. It seems like a real problem to get any type of visa changed in china, so i suggest try to come with the one visa you need the whole time. Ofcourse with these things nothing is certain and it depends on who the people are in china you are dealing with. So it might be possible to get a F visa turned into an L tourist visa?? but its probably going to be diffcult to get it turned into an X visa, so as I suggest, if u want to stay longe than 6months come with an x visa.

This topic has been beat into the ground before, however I am still unclear about the different ways to extend an F visa.

An X visa is issued for students staying for up to a year and over 6 months from my understanding. I will be attending BLCU for a semester and I doubt that they would allow me to get an X visa. However I could be wrong and I would be very interested in how one would go about applying for the X Visa.

From what I have gathered and through several searches through these forums this is what I have come up with for extending F Visas.

1. Use a somewhat shady service in the mainland, however as pointed out here you may get ripped off.

2. Travel to Hong Kong and get an extension there, as described in the above link as well as here.

3. Enroll in more classes and get an official extension on the mainland.

Are there any other ways? Personally I think I will do the Hong Kong thing after the semester is over because I want to travel in this area anyways.

-b i l l

• 4 weeks later...

From what you say, you will most likely be issued an F visa valid for 180 days. The number of days begins counting down the day you enter China. So (I believe) once you are issued your visa, you are free to leave immediately for China.

If your visa expires while you are still a student, you will have no problem obtaining another visa that lasts until school officially ends. Go to the foreign students affairs office in BLCU and they will give you the paperwork to go down to the Public Security Bureau for Entry and Exit to apply for a new visa. Be warned that this will cost you money (around 400RMB for Americans).

However, if you plan to stay past the expiration date of your visa and you are not in school, you will not be able to extend your F visa. You will need to apply for an L (tourist) visa. I think this may require you exiting the country first (like going to Hong Kong).

If you have an X visa, it is valid for one year, but, you will not get this unless your JW201 form says you are staying for over 180 days. Since you are only staying for BLCU for only one term, you are probably not eligible. The X visa is a pain in the ass anyway, blood tests and physicals and whatnot.

It's fairly important not to get visa information confused, as getting visas fixed is painful in Beijing because the taxi ride from BLCU to the Public Security Bureau for Entry and Exiting Persons is around 30RMB one way into the 2nd ring road (basically downtown), plus lines are fairly line, and changing your visa is 400RMB (for Americans).

I have talked with a friend in Beijing (he's Chinese), he asked his American professors how they generally extend their visas and they said there is an office at the airport that will issue tourist visas, so that is a possiblity when your F visa runs out of juice. Has anyone else heard or know about the airport office?