Chinese-Forums

Interpreter needed in Suzhou (ASAP!)

Denise

I hope this is the right forum to post this in (I apologise if it's not) but I am searching for a Chinese/English interpreter living in Suzhou (your English doesn't have to be prefect, just passable.) I'm an filmmaker who was granted an interview with the head of the China Tiger breeding center here, but I can only do it with the help of an interpreter, as I speak no Chinese and my subject speaks no English. The catch is: I want to do the interview tomorrow (Wednesday, Oct. 26th) or the day after..so it's VERY late notice! Understandably, I'm having a hard time finding someone who's free.

If you-- or somebody you know-- might be interested and available, please email me at denise_kri@yahoo.com. Or if you know of a website where people list interpreter services, that would help too! Thanks a bunch. Denise

Who said that Suzhou is in Zhejiang? I said "you might be better able to find someone in Shanghai or Zhejiang Province"

Shanghai isn't part of Jiangsu, nor is Zhejiang...however there are more English speaking Chinese in Shanghai and Zhejiang province. How do I know? because I lived in those areas.

I'm sick in tired of people not reading posts and posting messages like, "hey man, Suzhou isn't in Zhejiang." I never said that Suzhou was in Zhejiang.

Who said that Suzhou is in Zhejiang? I said "you might be better able to find someone in Shanghai or Zhejiang Province"

Shanghai isn't part of Jiangsu' date=' nor is Zhejiang...however there are more English speaking Chinese in Shanghai and Zhejiang province. How do I know? because I lived in those areas.

I'm sick in tired of people not reading posts and posting messages like, "hey man, Suzhou isn't in Zhejiang." I never said that Suzhou was in Zhejiang.[/quote']

You need to chill, I merely was pointing out that Suzhou is in Jiangsu province not Zhejiang, and that's a big deal in Chinese people's minds. Shanghai is different because Shanghai is a municipality (also Shanghai used to be part of Jiangsu province). Zhejiang is much further away from Suzhou than Shanghai and southern Jiangsu (there is a HUGE LAKE, Taihu, separating the two provinces). Also, there is a bit of a cultural gap between southern Jiangsu and northern Zhejiang. People in northern Zhejiang think Suzhou is quite far away and would be less likely to agree to go to Suzhou than someone who is already in southern Jiangsu. A trip to Suzhou for the average Zhejiang man is a big deal. Shanghai is convenient because it's the transportation hub, trains leave Shanghai for Suzhou every half hour.

There are many English speakers in southern Jiangsu (Nanjing, Suzhou, Changzhou, Wuxi) as well; no less than in northern Zhejiang.

Ala, Oh I'm going to chill alright. I be chillin' and relaxin' right now.

I'm curious, how long did you live in Zhejiang? While I was living there, the majority of chillin' Chinese people I met had been to Suzhou a few times or more...and I was living on a island. They'd rather go there than Hangzhou...even though Hangzhou was near. They didn't buy all of the "West Lake" hype. They'd rather go chill in Suzhou.

I also assumed you'd just got the provinces mixed up. Reasonable assumption to make, I think.

Late now anyway, but sure if you just need a 'passable' interpreter then surely there's going to be a university teacher / student or tour guide in Suzhou able to do that. I'd be amazed if you needed to go outside of Suzhou for something so simple.

Roddy

Yes, you also might of assumed that, but you had kept it to yourself. :) I was just bothered that people would think that, as any monkey can look on a map and find cities/provinces. Either way, I apologize Alah for getting irrated and annoyed with your post. As examinations are approaching, I'm becoming short tempered. I will have to word things more carefully in order to prevent similar assumptions for happening.

My mama always said, never assume things because... haha