Chinese-Forums

週 vs 周

Ian_Lee

In the traditional script, there is strict distinction between and . But recently it seems the difference has been blurred in HK where 週 is incorrectly replaced by 周, i.e. 黄金周 (Golden Week).

Dies anybody know if the students in Taiwan can correctly use 週 and 周?

My favourite Chinese dictionary (Longman, in traditional characters) has 12 explanations for 周, and 6 explanations for 週. Except 3 dynasty names, 1 surname, and the meanings of "完備" and "接濟", the six other meanings of 周 are the same as those of 週, which are -

同"周"。

1. 圈子。 2. 環繞中心的部分。 3. 環繞、繞圈。 4. 全面、普及。 5. 一個星期。 6. 時間的一輪。

So my conclusion is that 周 has broader meanings than, and covers all the meanings of, 週. And some people, like us in HK, tend to use 週 for its six meanings. But it is not wrong to use 周 instead of 週.

Skylee:

But I think that these two characters are distinct in some usages. Just like the example that I cited 週 should be exclusively for the term week.

In Japanese, 週 is also used to denote "week" as traditional script does. If 週 and 周 are interexchangable, then why is only 週 used in Japanese?

Maybe our fellow poster Hashiri can give us an answer.

I would think that what happens in Japanese with 週 is not a valid justification that this character should be used exclusively to mean "week" in Chinese.

BTW, Ming Pao Weekly, a magazine which has been around for over 30 years, is called 明周 (明報周刊), not 明週. -> http://www.mingpaoweekly.com/ I suppose this is not an incorrect replacement of 週 by 周.

If 週 and 周 are interexchangable, then why is only 週 used in Japanese?
First, I think 週 and 周 are interchangeable because they are so similar in many aspects: writing, meaning, pronunciation. This similarity is probably also the reason for Mainland China to use 周 for both characters. Japan (and in theory Vietnam also), who borrowed these characters a long time ago, still differentiates the two and using of one in place of the other is considered a mistake (and mistakes do happen!)
BTW, Ming Pao Weekly, a magazine which has been around for over 30 years, is called 明周
skylee, I think Mainland China's adoption of 周 has only reinforced the interchangeability, and did not initiate it. So the use 明周 30 years ago may or may not be independent from China's influence.

A Ming dynasty lexicographer says "週,俗周字。" in 《正字通》.

Here's a discussion: KudoZ. According to one poster, historically 週 has been used more for verbal functions rather than nominal. So perhaps the use of 週 for week and such in Hong Kong and elsewhere is a back-formation, dating from quite some time ago.

So perhaps the use of 週 for week and such in Hong Kong and elsewhere is a back-formation, dating from quite some time ago.
If true, this would be interesting because they're now undergoing the opposite process of conversion (as opposed to diversion).

(However, I think 週 is not only used in the peripheral regions but was also used within China itself (before the simplication took place), from which it spread.)

Even though 周 is not used in Japanese to denote a week, it can still denote a time period, which to me suggests the ongoing similairty between the two characters.

I suspect the two might be variants of each other, ones that survived the gentle removal of such characters within the character set. I say this because, 週 isn't listed as having a seal/bronze script character, though one may exist. 週 may have been a (relatively) recent creation (last 500-1000 years maybe).