Chinese-Forums

where are the chiropractors/osteopaths?

miranets

Hi guys

I am headed back to Beijing for three months, and will be leaving behind my weekly chiropractic adjustments...

I have googled chiropractor and osteopathy but it seems that these are almost non-existent practice in China. Instead it is the traditional massage/accupuncture route.

So how do most Chinese people deal with chronic neck/back pain caused by muscle tension and out-of-place bones?

Does anyone know of any RELIABLE clinics that offer spinal adjustments (making your bones crack) in Beijing.. My Beijing pals tell me any local masseur can do the job, but I don't want them to strain something so bad on the first week of the trip.

I believe there is only one actual chiropractor in Beijing. She practises at the disgustingly overpriced Beijing United Family Hospital. An appointment is 1500 RMB or something equally outrageous. And she's booked three weeks in advance.

You should also be aware that there may be some confusion as to the terms 'osteopathy' and 'orthopedics' in Chinese. I was quite excited to see that the Traditional Chinese Medicine Teaching Hospital at Dongzhimen had a 'department of osteopathy.' Unfortunately, it is actually their orthopedics department, and they had never even heard of osteopathy as we know it in the west...

I don't know enough Chinese to understand the previously mentioned link.