Chinese-Forums

To post or not to post in pinyin....

Mike

I have my first piece of written homework from my Mandarin evening class. I have written about ten sentences in pinyin! Like: -

Q: ni3 he1 cha2 he2 ka1 fei1 ma?

A: bu4 he1. wo3 zhi3 you3 cha2 ke3 kou3 ke3 le4

(A: 你喝茶和咖啡吗) / B: 不喝.我只有茶可口可乐)

I've no idea if this and the other sentences I have written are correct. My question is about the right way to proceed. I imagine that if you know the correct answer and you can guide me in the correct sentence construction, the last thing you want to do is untangle pinyin. Am I correct? So, looking for corrections to my work, can I post in pinyin or will there be a collective sigh, and generally no response? I’ll understand either way 

Mike

maybe instead of 不喝 you could say 都不喝, which may give a little more emphasis on the fact that you don't drink either one...

Yeah, I prefer characters! Nice thing here is that if I don't understand a character, I'll copy and paste it into an online dictionary. Pinyin is kinda bland, only good for phonetic description, not to read normally

My own preferences are for simplified characters, traditional characters, and then pinyin. You'll get a better response with characters, as it's what the vast majority of people on here are used to working with. You're welcome to post pinyin only stuff, but I reckon it might affect the number of responses you get.

Roddy

Having made my first post in Chinese things immediately got x^n times more difficult (where n=some really big number!). But I think I must agree with Ferno - as if my view counts for anything - that you have to study all aspects of a language simultaneously. There will be some exceptions, like living amongst native speakers and having no time or inclination to use the Internet or to write - even then it strikes me that knowing signs like 出口 and 入口 might be useful, and mixing up 男 and 女 could be a problem!

Anyway, today I bought 250 Essential Chinese Characters by Phillip Yungkin Lee. Progress is going to be slow, probably very slow, but balanced :wink:

The more you learn characters, the easier it becomes! It was SO HARD in the beginning to memorize even fairly simple characters.

Now just a few weeks ago, I spent one weekend learning all the traditional varients of the charactes I learned in my first year of Chinese. Only one weekend and it was so quick and painless. So that just showed me that things do get a lot easier!

加油!

(jia1 you2) means "add oil!" or "go for it!"