Chinese-Forums

Worldwide language study

W2LChinese

I am looking for a short course in Beijing. I was gonna apply for 5 weeks program at BLCU but I've missed the deadline for the application.

I came across this school.. worldwide language study.. anyone know about it? or if there any other place anyone can introduce me. i'm planing to go for a month in december

Thanks

If you are only here for a short time, you don't need a school to get you a VISA.

Just come here and go to the BLCU campus and at the friendship store there are posters for about six million Tutors.

Hire them for 20-50 kuai an hour.

It will be better and 3 times cheaper than any course you take at BLCU.

Never heard of this particular group - do you have a link or any more info?

It will be better and 3 times cheaper than any course you take at BLCU.

I'm going to at least partially disagree with you on this.

I think if someone has some language learning experience, perhaps even taught some languages before, then they can do this. They'll be able to spot a good tutor, choose an appropriate textbook, and make reasonable demands on themselves.

However, someone without that experience, starting from scratch, will quite possibly wind up with an incompetent tutor (oh, let's just chat in Chinese, he he he), a badly chosen textbook and no idea if they're making great progress or wasting their time.

A university course (not BLCU specifically) is never going to be the cheapest option, and often not the most efficient one. But for many people the discipline of having these classes, at those times, and the structured course laid out with exams to aim for is something very difficult to replicate. It might not be the best, and in somecases it may be little more than mediocre - but it's better than flailing around with no direction, a piss-poor textbook, and a 20Y an hour undergraduate who hopes that he or she will somehow infect you with Chinese.

The independent study route is a good one - it's one I've taken myself, with occasional success - but I'd guess that unless you are disciplined (important in any case, but particularly with independent study) and have the ability (or assistance) to chose appropriate resources and people to help you, you're going to be better off in a structured course, even if it isn't a fantastic one.

Roddy