Chinese-Forums

Typing Chinese

tsp_uk

Hi, I'm sorry if you have seen a million threads asking this question, but could someone explain all the ways someone could type in Chinese using Windows XP.

I know that if you want to install the language files you got to settings, regional and languages etc etc.

Could someone explain how this 五笔 works? And what I have to download to use this?

Hi -

>could someone explain all the ways someone could type in Chinese using Windows XP.

I'm doing it using the Chinese Word Editor that comes with Windows XP. It's a basic system in which you input the pinyin characters, and the editor gives you a range of homophones from which to choose.

>I know that if you want to install the language files you got to settings, regional and languages etc etc.

When I got my Windows XP for my laptop in Singapore, it came with the Chinese Editor, and all you had to do was to go to settings, regional, language etc etc, and indicate that you want the Chinese Editor. (I didn't do this myself - the computer guy who installed Windows XP did it for me.)

Back in London, I found that my work computer didn't have the Chinese Editor option even though it uses Windows XP. I guess it isn't loaded as a matter of course because there isn't much demand for it here. But I think, though I could be wrong, that Windows XP users are entitled to the Chinese Editor, and you can download it from internet if you don't have it. The computer guy where I work could and did expand the range of options in the settings, regional, language etc thing, and got the Chinese Editor up and going.

chris2005

if you are new to typing chinese on a computer, i wouldnt recommend starting with something as complex as 五筆 you need to know the composition and stroke order of the characters for anything you wish to type, its a really steep learning curve. i suggest starting off using a simple phonetic input method, pinyin or zhuyin unless your chinese is pretty advanced and you are seriously dedicated. 五筆 is considered to be superiour/faster method but its really frustrating for a long time to use, whereas with phonetic input systems you will be typing chinese in no time... you can always learn 五筆 at a later time if you really wish...

a simple search on google for "chinese input XP" will give you the details your need.

加油

Hi. The easiest thing to use is to use the included IME in Windows XP like chris2005 suggested.

Classic View

Go to Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Languages tab

Now, you probably don't have support for East Asian Languages installed, and you need that first (you will probably need the Windows CD for this). Check the box that says "Install files for East Asian languages. Click Apply and follow the instructions.

Now, if you have to, go back to the same Languages tab, and this time click the "Details" button. Click "Add". You will get a box that allows you to select a new input language and "Keyboard layout/IME." I use Chinese (PRC) as my input language for reformed characters and Chinese (Taiwan) for traditional characters. When you select either input language, be sure to leave the Keyboard layout/IME at the default.

After clicking OK, you will want to make sure the Language Bar settings are how you want them. You can mess around with those by clicking the "Language Bar" button in the window that lists your available input languages. Also, when entering text, you can switch languages by using the keyboard shortcut Left Alt + shift.

A note about the Chinese (Taiwan) input. You will probably have to set this to use pinyin. Just select it from the language bar and then click the "Tools" button and select "Properties." Now click the "Keyboard Mapping" tab and make sure the Hanyu Pinyin radio button is selected.

Have fun! There are other nifty little things you can do with this, and I encourage you to mess around with the language bar options and see what all can be done.

• 3 weeks later...

hi, i've been trying to figure out how to input characters. i've followed instructions, going to control panel...etc, but it seems i have to have the Windows XP Home Edition CD, which i don't. i do use XP and i've downloaded SP2, so in order to input the use of chinese characters, how can i do it without inserting the CD/ROM? is all the information already on my harddrive? and how do i locate it? would it just be easier to download something of the web? thanks for any help in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem, could not find the chinese IME on my hard drive and did not have Windows XP backup CD, so i downloaded a Microsoft IME off the web which works perfectly on my XP professional edition computer (for traditional chinese). don't remember where i found the file so you will have to google it.