Chinese-Forums

Taiwanese Dairy Terminology

gougou

At work, we are representing a German supplier of dairy products. Today, I came across one of their butter packets, which was labelled in different languages. The Chinese was 乳酪, which AFAIK means cheese.

My Chinese colleague is guessing that this might be the Taiwanese way of saying it, yet nobody knows for sure. Does anybody here know?

Try searching Taiwan Yahoo with various combinations of 乳酪, 奶酪, 起士, 芝士, butter, cheese, etc.

It seems to be that 起士 is the colloquial term for cheese in Taiwan, while 乳酪 is a commonly used written word for cheese. But technically speaking, the dairy industry seems to use 乾乳酪 for cheese and 乳酪 for butter.

This is what I gleened after a 5 minute search, so may not be all that accurate.

Thanks for your answers. It seems there is no generally accepted way of referring to butter, so if you want to know what company we are representing, just keep your eyes open for the butter packages that every Taiwanese pokes fun at! :mrgreen: