Chinese-Forums

Evaluate my Chinese study plan

bt1000

Hi everyone,

just thought I might ask for your personal opinion on my plan to study Chinese. I am particularly interested on people's opinion who have studied like this/at these places/similarly, although any suggestions are welcome.

I am very keen to learn as much Chinese as possible - i have done about 2-3 years in high school - but its been a while since then.

Anyway, from mid december, i am going to BLCU to do a 5 week short term Chinese language course. From the advice on this board, i have elected not to do the intensive classes, which is why i am asking for thoughts on my study plan, to see if i can get more tips like this. I have been recently been accepted.

Because I believe 5 weeks isn't really long enough, my plan is to then travel to Dalian and take another 5 week short term Chinese language course. I will apply for that within 24 hours. I am applying for http://www.dlscs.com/english/xy_jianjie.htm

The two courses do not overlap - there is a few days between them.

So what are your thoughts? Is this a good/bad idea?

Will i have any problems with visas etc?

Any ideas appreciated.

on a side note:

I will endevour to provide details on the application process/experience, etc once I finalize my itinery, and will hopefully update you with my experience in China once i get there.

i think you have to be realistic, 10 weeks isnt very long, the most important thing for you is to make as much of your time in china as possible. Be outside every moment you have chatting with people in as many different situations as possible, this simple real life experience is invaluable.

Make the situations work for you, try to have some new vocabulary prepared and attempt to control the direction of the conversation yourself, dont let the other person speak for too long, otherwise you'll get lost in the conversation. Be able to respond fluently to the typical questions foreigners are faced with, "where are you from? why are you in china? blah blah and prepare some questions that you are likely to understand the answer to; "are you a student too? where do you study? etc" try to keep the conversation at your level, or just above...

Another great thing todo is to keep going back to the same shops and build up a rapport with the boss, they will soon get an idea for your ability and, as long as you are buying something, they should be more than happy to chat away with you. If you can forge a good friendship with someone too, this is also a great opportunity to chat for hours. This is the kind of exposure its generally impossible to get back home, so dont spend too much time staring at a text book while you are there, you can do that when you get back home.

One other tip, when you get lost in a converstion, dont stare blankly and say, 對不對我聽不懂啊, repeat back the last part of the converstaion that you understood and ask them to give you a different explaination. Im not sure how patient people are in 大陸 but if its anything like taiwan the average person has a lot of time for foreigners, and remember to throw in a bit of english for the person if they understand, they will be just as chuffed as you are to practise a little english...

加油

Why are you doing these 5 week courses? a time limit? I suggest settling in for a year and taking your time. Don't just focus on the language but enjoy China and the people as well. I guess this isn't possible in your case? Sorry i have none of the practical advice you're looking for, but trust me, once you get there you won't want to leave so quickly.

some very good advice, thankyou very much....any more? i can use all the help i can get.

I would like to stay longer, but i am currently at uni, and leave pretty much straight away after exams, and return back to australia a day or two before uni starts again. What do most people do.... Do the majority go study Chinese for a year after they have graduated? Or do they just take a year off? What is your situation and has it worked out for you?

I think its a bit of a waste if you live in an English dominated area, and you study Chinese for a year, then lose it all when you get back because you don't apply it as much.

By the way, are you trying to say that 10 weeks learning Chinese is useless?

hi... Personally, I think 10 weeks is too short... I lived in HK for almost 8 weeks before it was way too short....

By the way, I'm planning on going to china next year.... I wanted to stay at least a year get immersed with the Chinese culture and language... but if I do this, it will cost a lot of money... can I find part time work there?

I'm a Business Administration graduate but I'm willing to do low end jobs just to support me for a while. Do you think this plan will work?

I've seen some of the "study in China" sites offering to place people as business interns. That implies that there are positions available for non Chinese speakers. Might be as a copy boy, though.

Don't have a link, but I think you'd find it with a google search.